Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed a clanking noise the other day while taking off from a stop in first gear. The noise happened when the clutch was just making contact with the flywheel. Sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. So I tried to diagnose the problem by pushing the clutch pedal to the floor with the car in first gear and letting off the pedal until it started engaging the flywheel then pushing the pedal back down. However, when I did this I thought the whole drive train was going to fall out of the car. It made one hell of a racket and actually shook the car. It literally felt like the whole mess was loose or something. Anybody have any ideas what could be happening down there? I have a 2007 z51 manual with 9,600 miles by the way.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Had something similar on mine as you describe, and it turned out to be a half shaft. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LeMansta', definitely could be the problem. Car still under warranty so I'll probably let the pros check it out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks LeMansta', definitely could be the problem. Car still under warranty so I'll probably let the pros check it out.
For sure! if it's warrantied, let them do it...I'd like to know the final outcome if you don't mind. I would be curious to know. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Those noise are common when the exhaust bearing is bad !!!!:rolling:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You got it Lemansta, I'll post the outcome when the time comes. Livnup, what do you mean "exhaust bearing"??? Not familiar with this bearing.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You got it Lemansta, I'll post the outcome when the time comes. Livnup, what do you mean "exhaust bearing"??? Not familiar with this bearing.
lol...obviously you're not too mechanically inclined. He's pulling your leg...there's no such thing as an exhaust bearing!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Did you ever figure out the noise and did you get it fixed?

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
lol...obviously you're not too mechanically inclined. He's pulling your leg...there's no such thing as an exhaust bearing!!! :thumbsup:
My answer would have been a little bearing behind the rear for when the exhaust spin. lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Everyone - Last spring I had a similiar noise from the rear of my 05 C6. As it turned out the rear u joints which connect the axle to the the differential developed some "play". This play caused a clunking noise everytime I disengaged the clutch.

The service dude should be able to hear the noise during a test drive and once the car is up on the hoist simply by moving the rear tires back and forth the noise can be repeated.

The dealer had to replace the axles and u joints at a cost of $2500.00. Fortunately I purchased extended warrenty for $33300.00 so I am just about even.

Hope this is helpful

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi Everyone - Last spring I had a similiar noise from the rear of my 05 C6. As it turned out the rear u joints which connect the axle to the the differential developed some "play". This play caused a clunking noise everytime I disengaged the clutch.

The service dude should be able to hear the noise during a test drive and once the car is up on the hoist simply by moving the rear tires back and forth the noise can be repeated.

The dealer had to replace the axles and u joints at a cost of $2500.00. Fortunately I purchased extended warrenty for $33300.00 so I am just about even.

Hope this is helpful
I'm sure you ment 3,330.00...or at least I hope so. You could have bought another vette for all that money! lol :laughing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts