Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum.....
I'm also not a Corvette owner (not by choice - I'm a huge fan)
But I have a question I hope you guys can help me with:

What is the distance between the serpentine belt pulley on the water pump and the engine block where the water pump bolts on? Can someone measure this for me please?

I'm asking because I'm doing a custom build using a SBC 350 with some really tight fit tolerances. I am wondering since the Corvette water pump is shorter, that 1" or so could be a huge help. I've got the serpentine system, brackets and all, off another non-Corvette engine. The long water pump is too close to where I need to mount the radiator.

I could be way off on this, but the Corvette pump pulley looks "skinnier" than the pulley on a long pump, i.e. the belt looks like it rides close to the same place on both, relative to the engine block. The belt itself is 4 3/4" out from the engine block at the water pump/block interface on what I have now with the long pump. But the long pump is 7" out. The Corvette pump is 5 13/16"(according to spec)....If the measured distance between the belt and block for the Corvette is less than the 4 3/4" but still close to that, then I can shim the pulley to align it with everything else, gaining hopefully a very valuable 1/2"+ that I need.

I know that was wordy, but I appreciate any help you could give.
thanks,
KB

·
Registered
244 Posts
First off, welcome to DC! I was a member years before I had a corvette, I'm still restoring the interior before I drive it.

Hoping to help if I can, but this info will aid others in helping too. What year or generation of corvette are you looking at measuring? I'm guessing either C5 or C6,(maybe both?) but knowing for sure would help find an answer. Or did you need a C4 as the thread is in C4 section. If you need a C4, there were different engines used, so a year is needed.

Also, do you need from center of pully to block, inside or outside edge? would you need as measured with pump installed, therefore measuring from timing chain cover, or with it sitting on a flat surface?
Have fun at DC,
~wd-40:buhbye:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Back of pulley to block is 4 1/8" with Vette WP.

Same Vette pulley on a std "short" SBC pump is almost identical ; is further out but there would not be more than 1/64" difference
Which is why you can use a short SBC pump for the AC delete option negating the need for a remote idler pulley to replace the compressor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

Looking for the 5.7L from '84-'91, the stock, factory Corvette. I understood the block was the same and all the water pumps were the reverse rotation short water pump.

Any measurement, center, inside or outside would be fine. Measured like it was sitting on the ground (this style water pump has less clearance between it and the timing cover).

A close approximation would be fine if it is too hard to get to. You could also measure from the inside of the pulley to the outside of the pulley where it is bolted on the water pump. I could do the math from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that was fast....answered before I finished typing!

That is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.
Thanks for the hospitality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts