Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed my car last night while at work (but before my shift, of course) and decided to spray off the engine to get some of the dust off. After washing the car I parked it in the shop while it dried off to prevent dust from collecting on it (I washed it with demineralized water hence the need to only let it air dry). When my shift was almost over I pulled my car out to let it warm up when I noticed that the DIC was showing "Service Charging System". I simply thought that I got a little bit of water in the alternator and it will just evaporate as the car warms up. No dice, on my way home I reset the DIC only to have the message eventually come back in... Not a big deal... UNTIL, about 20 miles into my commute my radar detector starting flashing "Hi VOLTS" and my lights and everything else turned off and back on. The volt meter in the instrument cluster was reading 18v... not good. I was a good 10 miles from home so I figure I should pull over and cycle the motor to see if it would clear. This did not work and I ended up driving the next 10 miles home with the alternator putting out 18v. I have two questions here; 1) Has anyone had this happen to them and what was the cause? 2) Can driving 10 miles with 18v hurt anything? The second question is important because the nearest dealer is 15 miles away. Thanks in advance for any help! And just for reference, I have a 2007 C6 Z51 MN6 built in late Sept. with 1900 miles on the ODO.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I haven't seen this one. It might clear on it's own overnight. If not, I would recommend taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I let the car sit for about 10 hours and then went to start it back up. The voltage is back to reading approx 14 volts but after letting the car idle for 30 seconds the DIC displayed the same message. I am very hesitant to drive this car to the dealership to have it looked at. Does anyone know of a dealership in the East valley of Phoenix that has a mobile service vehicle?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mine had the same message, at around 4500 mi. Took it to a dealer, needed a new alternator. Replaced under warranty. Drive it to the nearest dealer. You don't want to get stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine had the same message, at around 4500 mi. Took it to a dealer, needed a new alternator. Replaced under warranty. Drive it to the nearest dealer. You don't want to get stranded somewhere.
That's funny because my vette needed a new alternator 3 weeks after purchase.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rdevaux2007/polykarb,

I noticed both of you guys have 2007's. What are your build dates? Have you had any problems since your alternators were replaced?

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you drive it I recomment that you turn on the air conditioner and every thing you can to help draw the amps off.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Call the dealer and ask for a free tow in. I assume your 07 came with the 1 year free road side assitance and towing like my 05?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Livy and Midnite902,

Thank you for the advice. I did not know that GM offered these vehicles with free towing for the first year so I am definitely going to check on that... If not, I guess I am going to have to crank up the stereo, kick on the A/C and turtle the motor all the way to the dealership. :toilet

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
rdevaux2007/polykarb,

I noticed both of you guys have 2007's. What are your build dates? Have you had any problems since your alternators were replaced?

Thanks
Jeff
Build date: 10/02/2006. No problems since alternator replacement :cheers:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stereo NO

I would not turn on the stereo as it is probably one of the items most sensitive to over voltage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts