Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 99 out this weekend and she ran wonderful until this morning when I got in and started and got the take key out for 10 seconds on the DIC. Then sure enough, I got the dreaded service column lock reading and the car would die when I would let the clutch out. My big question is that after reading all about this, is that everyone seems to have their steering wheel lock up on them and mine is not locking at all. I am able to move the car from one side of the driveway to the other but at a very slow pace due to the shut down if speed reaches 1.5 mph. Is there any advise out there anyone can give me. I pulled the panel out from under the steering wheel and see the see the green, orange purple and black wire harness and was able to get it off the metal plate and it does not have a column lock bypass box on it. Would it be best to order one and go ahead and put it on or is there something else I should try. I also unplugged battery but didn't help. I also pulled fuse #25 and #29 and left out for 5 minutes but didn't help either. Can anyone give me some help.:huh:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
:thud:Sorry. Yes, you will need a CLB and possibly a reflash of the computer before this will go away.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had the same issue with my 99 last weekend. There is a very in depth thread on the subject by Junkman :thumbsup: at the top of the C5 general section. I got the column lock bypass and installed it today. I had a bit of trouble getting my wheel free, but it sounds like yours will go easy. Once I installed the CLB the error disappeared.

·
Registered
3 Posts
4 times past 6 months

I got my 99 out this weekend and she ran wonderful until this morning when I got in and started and got the take key out for 10 seconds on the DIC. Then sure enough, I got the dreaded service column lock reading and the car would die when I would let the clutch out. My big question is that after reading all about this, is that everyone seems to have their steering wheel lock up on them and mine is not locking at all. I am able to move the car from one side of the driveway to the other but at a very slow pace due to the shut down if speed reaches 1.5 mph. Is there any advise out there anyone can give me. I pulled the panel out from under the steering wheel and see the see the green, orange purple and black wire harness and was able to get it off the metal plate and it does not have a column lock bypass box on it. Would it be best to order one and go ahead and put it on or is there something else I should try. I also unplugged battery but didn't help. I also pulled fuse #25 and #29 and left out for 5 minutes but didn't help either. Can anyone give me some help.:huh:
I get the same thing every 2 months ... I learned to disconnect Neg. cable from battery, then replace fuse #23 floorboard pass. side.. I try to give 10 min. or more before recconnecting battery cable and cranking up.. I got a bunch of 10 amp. mini fuses for this.. hope this helps...

·
Registered
904 Posts
I get the same thing every 2 months ... I learned to disconnect Neg. cable from battery, then replace fuse #23 floorboard pass. side.. I try to give 10 min. or more before recconnecting battery cable and cranking up.. I got a bunch of 10 amp. mini fuses for this.. hope this helps...
In the time you take farting around with that, every two months, you could install a CLB and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
What codes are you getting?:huh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts