Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pulling out of the garage to take a nice sprited run to see a friend. I glance at my fuel guage and notice I'm on a 1/2 tank. Maybe 20 min. later I glance down and my guage shows E. Now... I know that running 1xx+ MPH will suck gas but not that much! Now I'm riding to my nearest gas station and the low fuel warning comes on. I reset and a SERVICE FUEL SYSTEM comes across my display. Oooo.. Kay?? I fill'er up....start the beast...MUSIC to my Ears as it echos across the water...ok back to the topic at hand... I start it and the fuel guage is dead. It's on E and the low fuel comes on along with the service Fuel System code comes back. I drove her the rest of the evening with the code coming on every 10-15 min. I tried again this morning and yep.. still doing it. No drivability issues or hesitation.

The guage does go through the full swing along with the other guages when you start up.

I plan to visit the dealer this week to see what's the issue.

Anyone experience this yet?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Use those fuel system cleaners that u find in the gas stations first fill half the tank then add the Cleaner then fill the whole tank and start the engine...

it happend once with me and the problem was fixed no warning what so ever..

I guess this happens when u drive the car till its nearly out of fuel , till the low fuel warning goes on ... Never let the beast run low on fuel.. :cheers:

GoodLuck

·
Registered
329 Posts
No issues here. '07 Z with 6,100 miles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use those fuel system cleaners that u find in the gas stations first fill half the tank then add the Cleaner then fill the whole tank and start the engine...

it happend once with me and the problem was fixed no warning what so ever..

I guess this happens when u drive the car till its nearly out of fuel , till the low fuel warning goes on ... Never let the beast run low on fuel.. :cheers:

GoodLuck

Thanks for the suggestion. No.. I don't let it run in the "Fume" zone. I wondered if I picked up some trash. I will admit that my car has sat in the garage over the past 2 months longer than it ever has since bringing her home. Maybe it's a sign to me to get back out there and run her. I'll try the fuel system cleaner.

JThomas,
That's good to know. '07 with 6,100 miles.. Your catching up ;) I'm rolling on 14,300 on my '07.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had that problem on my 02. I used BG44k per other members advice on here and it cleared it right up. Seems like sulfur builds up on the sensor sending it to whack. I had to use the cleaner like once a year as it would re-occur. Finally 3 months ago I brought it in and they said the left tank sensor was defective. The service guy also stressed dropping the tank on the vette is extremely difficult and not something they seem to look forward to! however, its perfect now and I have had no problems.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the fix and let's see if it stays that way. Apparently this has happened to a few other owners of C6. Taking the advice from an owner who experienced the same thing and has not experienced it since. I disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes and there you go. No more code and the guage is reading accurate. We'll see if it comes back however, the mystery still remains....:huh:

·
Banned
334 Posts
Fuel System Reply

So I'm pulling out of the garage to take a nice sprited run to see a friend. I glance at my fuel guage and notice I'm on a 1/2 tank. Maybe 20 min. later I glance down and my guage shows E. Now... I know that running 1xx+ MPH will suck gas but not that much! Now I'm riding to my nearest gas station and the low fuel warning comes on. I reset and a SERVICE FUEL SYSTEM comes across my display. Oooo.. Kay?? I fill'er up....start the beast...MUSIC to my Ears as it echos across the water...ok back to the topic at hand... I start it and the fuel guage is dead. It's on E and the low fuel comes on along with the service Fuel System code comes back. I drove her the rest of the evening with the code coming on every 10-15 min. I tried again this morning and yep.. still doing it. No drivability issues or hesitation.

The guage does go through the full swing along with the other guages when you start up.

I plan to visit the dealer this week to see what's the issue.

Anyone experience this yet?

I posted on here somewhere. It could be old software or could be disastorus and they'll have to take the whole rear end out. Tell the guy ther was a service bulleton to the dealers in late '05 or spring '06. Mine was the softwear but you would think that was changed since '06. Of course GM just realized gas is $4.00 plus for us. They just announced they were shutting down 4 truck plants. They only make the BIG money on trucks.

'08 Guy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted on here somewhere. It could be old software or could be disastorus and they'll have to take the whole rear end out. Tell the guy ther was a service bulleton to the dealers in late '05 or spring '06. Mine was the softwear but you would think that was changed since '06. Of course GM just realized gas is $4.00 plus for us. They just announced they were shutting down 4 truck plants. They only make the BIG money on trucks.

'08 Guy

:thumbsup: :thud:

08 Guy.. I commend you on your enthusiasm brother and thank you for reviving a 1 year old post! 08 meet 07 :D

No seriously, not sure all of that is needed as I have not had an issue since disconnecting the battery and I have 30k miles on her. :partyon:

Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm glad everyone got their issues resolved.

But this exact scenario happened to me, and the dealer had to replace the sending unit on the fuel tank. This of course required dropping the tank. All covered by warranty. But a bother nonetheless.

You can search the various boards on this and it turns out this is a fairly common ocurrence.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I'm glad everyone got their issues resolved.

But this exact scenario happened to me, and the dealer had to replace the sending unit on the fuel tank. This of course required dropping the tank. All covered by warranty. But a bother nonetheless.

You can search the various boards on this and it turns out this is a fairly common ocurrence.

Lets see dealer disconnects the battery before removing the tank.
After a while replaces tank and reconnects the battery? Bills GM for several hours labor for warranty work.$$$$$

Originally Posted by BluZbrutha
Taking the advice from an owner who experienced the same thing and has not experienced it since. I disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes and there you go. No more code and the guage is reading accurate.
And we wounder why GM is reluctant to pay for warranty issues.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5 Posts
It would be great if the solution to this problem were universally to disconnect and then reconnect the battery.

If it were, you can bet there is a TSB out that recommends exactly these steps to every dealer, and you can bet, too, that GM would not reimburse dealers for more elaborate work like replacing sending units that are not in fact faulty.

The main point is that this problem can occur for a number of different reasons. Just be aware of that. For those who find they can clear the problem by just disconnecting the battery, that's great. It's always worth trying the simple fix first. If that doesn't work though, remember that disconnecting the battery will not fix a legitimately bad sending unit or a number of other more troublesome causes.

Cheers,

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts