the problem. He said that one of the wires was
corroded and there could have been a poor contact. He
drove it for about 20 miles (I trust this guy) and the
light did not go on. He did say, however, that he was
not satisfied with that explanation because he could
not find anything that was the obvious problem. Low
and behold, when I picked up my car, the light went on
after 1 mile. Do you have any idea what it can be or
what we should be checking? Please let me know.

Thank you!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Information

He just looked at it again last night. The computer read that two O2 sensors are malfunctioning. They are both on the same side of the car (left side). One of the codes said the heater in the O2 sensor was not working. Is there anything that can be causing this (besides bad O2 sensors)?

·
Registered
283 Posts
You could switch the sensors from one side to the other. If the problem moves with the sensors, then it is the sensors. What are the DTC's? What is the fuel trim data? If the sensors are reading 450mv's all the time, they are not plugged in (an open) or not functioning at all. I doubt if the sensors are failing if this started right after you got your tranny worked on. The exhaust has to come off and the sensors along with it. I think some wires got smashed or yanked or who knows. Take it back to the tranny guy and tell him what's up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is the trani guy is telling me he put everything back the way he found it and my mechanic is telling me he is full of it. I waited to long to bring it to the trani guy's attention. I think he caused the problem. I called him and even faxed a letter explaining everything, but it was a few months after the job. He said he would work on it, but charge me. I would like to report him to the Better Business Bureau and to all corvette owners to avoid him.

I just failed inpsection with the following codes: P0141, P0154, P0155, P0161
Basically, these O2 sensors are not working properly. Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Did you check your fuses? Check the Oxygen Sensor fuse in your instrument panel fuse block. Might as well check the rest of the fuses while you're there, also.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know something, I just checked it and it was fried! I installed a new fuse. I will be driving a lot this weekend, so I will let you know if the light goes out. Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the fried fuse and the light still did not go out. I drove up to RI (from NJ) and back. My mechanic said he is going to run another wire next to the damaged one and reconnect the O2 sensors that way. Do you think that is a good idea? Do you know what else I should look for? I appreciate all of your help!

·
Registered
283 Posts
The light is not going to go out until 3 consecutive drive trips the test runs and does not fail. Unless of course, you clear the codes with a scan tool. The engine is going to have to completely cool down 3 times and certain parameters have to be met for the test to run. Did the fuse blow again? How do you know which wire is bad? That fuse powers more than one circuit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I left a message for my mechanic today. He called back and left a message saying a short caused the fuse to fry and that is most likely the problem (why the light is not going out). He was going to run new wires for the 2 O2 sensors on the driver's side before I informed him of this. I am not sure how it would have worked, but I am assuming he would have just reconnected the 2 O2 sensors to the computer with new wires. He admiitted that it did not even occur to him to check the fuse (Thanks!) He said he would reset the codes for me. So far, the fuse has not blown. If there still was a problem, would the fuse have blown already?

cheetah said:
The light is not going to go out until 3 consecutive drive trips the test runs and does not fail. Unless of course, you clear the codes with a scan tool. The engine is going to have to completely cool down 3 times and certain parameters have to be met for the test to run. Did the fuse blow again? How do you know which wire is bad? That fuse powers more than one circuit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Great! You're welcome. You probably fixed the root cause of the problem in the process and to finalize it, the fuse needed to be replaced. It's going to take 40 consecutive warm-up cycles with no problems for the History codes to clear, or a scan tool. Not sure if you'll pass emissions with History DTC's or not.
Good Luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts