Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well over the winter, this couple day job took me three months to do, I never have any time to really do as I want.

This all started after stumbling across a set of trail arms on ebay, got them pretty cheap so I figured I would clean up and replace things that were worn out while I was at it.

Here is a before shot

After blasting everything clean I found the old half shafts to be worn on the ends, as if they had been binding at some point.

A local friend of mine rebuilt my trailing arm assembly's for me in trade for my old trailing arm, not a bad trade.

New 3'' aluminum Denny half shafts, rebuilt trailing arms, and freshly painted parts.

New slotted cross drilled rotors on all for corners.
The E brake cable has been relocated to the top of the trailing arm since this photo.

And now some shots of the completed set up.

I still need to install my stainless brake lines front and rear and bleed the brakes and do an alignment . On a side note, I will probably be had a hydro boost setup to the car during My LS swap so I will wait to bleed the brake until then.

Just thought I would share.

Riggs.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
That looks sweet!!!:partyon:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Riggs that looks sweet! I too am working on my rear end. So far I have finally got everything out. The last part was my differential and crossmember out all in one piece. Grrrrrrr. Those 4 bolts that attatch the crossmember to the differential were so siezed that I had no choice. I have been soaking these bolts for days with liquid wrench and using a breaker bar and still no luck. Anyway I have offsets back from VanSteel along with stock half shafts spruced up and spicers installed. Also going with a dual mount rear spring and front mono spring with the lower A arms and tubular upper arms as well as new strut rods with heim joints. Also going with the crossmember reinforcers and a new poly front mount for the differential. I have all of this stuff sitting because I keep having setbacks like these rusty bolts. Thanks to you and everyone else I am doing the work myself. This is the first time I have ever done this much on a car and it can be frustrating, but I am very proud of myself. I thank you all here on the forum. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Also I am using my stock strut rod bracket with the new strut rods. I have been reading where some people speak about dropping the mounting points of the rods down about an inch. I have also seen an aluminum block spacer for the stock bracket. Is this something you are considering?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Excellent work, the rear end looks awesome, congrats.
I am doing virtually the same at present, the car has been on stands for about 8 weeks while I wait for the parts to arrive.

I found it interesting the wear you had on your half shaft as mine was the same and I had to replace ( thanks Andy, AKA 69 Dirty Rat ) I had not heard of this before, looking at your photo mine was a bit worse but only on one side and the wheel end not the diff end.

I am amazed the previous owner could not hear the noise metal on metal would have been making!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speeddaddy, I think the spacer amount that is between the diff and strut rod bracket is not meant to be more than 1/2 to 5/8'', anymore than that will create a negative camber when cornering, making the contact patch of the tire less as you corner, this is worse than the positive camber that the vette already has.
Right now I am using only a 1/4'' plate, but will play with the thickness when I get to drive it again and being able to tune it.

I find working on the car a pleasures, even when it gets aggravating, because when I have it put back together, and out enjoying it, I find it rewarding to know what, how and who worked on it. I hate working on daily drivers though.

Riggs.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yello 76, I think that wear is common to these cars, I wounder if its from 30 years of driving the cars when interring or exiting from a different grade level or from the suspension fully extending when going over a hill at high speeds or any situation that allows the suspension to fully extend and rotate. Some of these cars were not driven quite the way they were intended to be driven. I'm not sure if I'm wording it correctly, I know what I mean, but sometimes it doesn't come out right.

Riggs.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks for that info Riggs. How can I obtain a spacer for the bracket or is it something you had to fabricate? Once again your project is coming along beautifully. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have seen a few pre made spacer plates, but I can't remember were I seen them.
I made mine out of 1/4'' flat steel plate that I had laying around.

Becareful to make sure that the spring mounting bolts are still long enough to run into the differential housing.

Riggs.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
blackbeauty7, Yes the spring has been shortened. I took the spring pack apart and relocated the center pin 1.5 inch of the original center, this shortens up one side by 1.5 inch. I then had to cut the now longer end back 3'', 1.5 from were I move the center of the spring to this side and 1.5 now to make it the same length as the other side, then re drilled and reshaped the end to make it look like the original end did.

Hope this helps,
Riggs

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ozzyvettman, No, those are after market trailing arms that I bought from someone on Ebay last year.

Riggs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts