Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! Shifter Lock Doesn't always unlock when I press the brake pedal.

In my 98 C5 Automatic, the shifter lock not unlocking has become an every morning issue. When I press the brake pedal, there is still resistence on the shifter button. I can shake the shifter a little (this morning more) and the shifter button resistence (spring I guess) unloads. Then the shifter will move. I guess it's time to try to tackle figuring out why. Does anyone have an exploded view of the shifter and lock that I could look at? That way, maybe I will know what I am in for.

Any help/insight would be appreciated also.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
In my 98 C5 Automatic, the shifter lock not unlocking has become an every morning issue. When I press the brake pedal, there is still resistence on the shifter button. I can shake the shifter a little (this morning more) and the shifter button resistence (spring I guess) unloads. Then the shifter will move. I guess it's time to try to tackle figuring out why. Does anyone have an exploded view of the shifter and lock that I could look at? That way, maybe I will know what I am in for.

Any help/insight would be appreciated also.

Thanks,
Mike
in my 91 ive had a less than 100 % responce in myen ,to release the key
like a little gigglel is needed at timea ben like tht for 4 yrs nature of the beast ?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had the same issue with a 95 Corvette. I'm guessing the automatic shifter has not changed all that much. My problem was the shifter Celinoid. While pressing the brake to get out of park the shifter should unlock mine did sometimes but most of the time it would not. I got in contact with http://www.corvettesalvage.com/ and got a used shifter for $70.00 with shipping. Problem solved.
Hope this helps, good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts