Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been missing shifts at medium to higher rpms, Help!! I know it takes practice. what about a different(short) shifter. Last time I drove a stick shift was a 4 speed, no problem.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Take your time with it. Play with the shifter while you sit in it whenever the car is parked, maybe you can get a better feel for the spacing in between shift gates.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
You have to sit and practice it enough that its an automatic reflex,(gas off, clutch in, shift, clutch out, gas on) all at what seem like the same time, if you have to think about it your going to screw it up. The 2-3 shift happens at 90 mph depending on your car. At that speed your main focus better be on making the car go straight down the track.

And don't forget that while all of this is happening your also watching the tach so you don't over rev. But don't take your eyes off the track.

As Patrick would say "its so easy a caveman could do it.

Now get out there and have fun...:D :D :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maybe you are talking about the 1 to 4 shift.They did that to save gas.There is a wire harness to delete this shift.I'll find it and let you know.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I've been missing shifts at medium to higher rpms, Help!! I know it takes practice. what about a different(short) shifter. Last time I drove a stick shift was a 4 speed, no problem.
ya dont say what shift so i will guess 2/3. ya say ya got stick time does that include speed shifting and how many miles on the car,it helps to break in the shifter and tranny.ive an 07 z with 17 k on it and i can speed shift every gear but i broke it in first [speed shift =wot no lift on gas ] i put a shift light in its a big help.first time at drags 11.9 bone stock and speed shifting.dont force the shifter over for 3rd i just push slightly to right and let the spring move it through the gate

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Open hand shifting seems to work well in the C6. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
109 Posts
I used to miss the 2-3 shift, once and a while, unitil I read about shifting from Ranger. From 1-2 just use your 4 fingers cupped and pull straight down. Don't "grab" the shifter. On the 2-3 shift just use your palm (no fingers) and push it toward 3rd. Don't force it, the guide spring with put you right in 3rd. Try it, believe me it works ! I have not missed a shift yet (Thanks Ranger):thumbsup: . 3-4 is the same as 1-2. Search some posts by Ranger I'm sure you'll find some other tips on shifting but this advice helped me out alot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shifting

I have a 07 Z with about 2300 miles. I miss 2-3 usually when I'm on gas hard.Its so exciting !! I sometimes miss down shifts,maybe i need to break-in trans and shifter ? I.ll try holding shifter differently. What do you guys think of the short throw shifters ?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Practice:D
Sounds like you get a little excited when going through the gears:surprised

·
Banned
109 Posts
I have a 07 Z with about 2300 miles. I miss 2-3 usually when I'm on gas hard.Its so exciting !! I sometimes miss down shifts,maybe i need to break-in trans and shifter ? I.ll try holding shifter differently. What do you guys think of the short throw shifters ?
I don't have any experience with short shifters but it's probably not necessary. Trust me try the shifting technique I described, just push with your palm out of 2nd open handed. I couldn't believe how easy it was to not miss the 2-3 shift after that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Take it around an empty parking lot untill you get it right.

·
Registered
403 Posts
you dont have to be going flat out to practice speed shifting either.

you can practice the shifts at lower rpms also. I havn't done it in a vette, but I used to race a mustang in my younger days, and this was how I practiced.

At lower rpms missed shifts aren't as detrimental either. The car may react a little funny when you complete the shift, but thats just because your not way up in the power band.

Try gettin on it good, and shifting at 4-5k for practice.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I don't have any experience with short shifters but it's probably not necessary. Trust me try the shifting technique I described, just push with your palm out of 2nd open handed. I couldn't believe how easy it was to not miss the 2-3 shift after that.
do what he say. if ya change the shifter you may find reverse tough to get in,i may vibrate,be noisey,and require bigger arms and 5th gear can be tough.dont try this until ya get good at it but i pull really hard on the shifter when i,m going to speed shift 1/2 .trust me as long as you are WOT it aint coming out of gear until ya hit the clutch.2/3 i have preasure foward with a touch of right. same on my harley ,i lift up on shifter hard at WOT then clutch it .ya lift ya lose

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shifting

I've been using open handed palm shifting (2-3) and its been working good. Also trying to relax a little more. Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Open hand shifting seems to work well in the C6. :thumbsup:
Lots of people agree with this method. Personally, I use the tips of my fingers on the 2-3 and rely on the spring centering the lever in the 3-4 slot. Push with my thumb and guide, slightly with my fingers. The thumb position, off slightly to the left, seems to guide it into the slot just enough. Now if I could get consistenly smooth at low speed 1-2, I'd be happy. No problem with aggressive launch, but still herky-jerky at light throttle. Practice is still the best remedy. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts