Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bilstein or KYB's?? I'm looking for a good ride, not too stiff, but a good shock for a good price. Kyb's are about $27, how much are Bilsteins and are they worth the difference?
Please give me your input!

Thanks!

:cheers:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
I have a C4, but I must say I was kinda pissed my factory stock Bilsteins crapped out at 40k miles.

Oddly, I replaced them with Bilstein Z51 shocks. I just couldn't imagine putting a $27 shock on each corner!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Depending on the type of drivin you do,if you drive your vett with hard cornering,aggersiveness,well bilstien is the way to go.The price will give you sticker thoughts .KYB are a good alternative if your driving style is just for weekend mopderate driving.Ride with the KYB will percise but not overley hard.Bilstiens on the other hand are hard rideing.I had them on my 1984(Z-51) rode like a truck,but stuck like glue.Ride is a big factor to your question,want are you looking for.Just a thought Kenny:buhbye: :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have KYB shocks on my '79 and am not at all impressed with them. They have less than 500 miles on them but they are going to be replaced this winter. Bilsteins are on my cars Christmas wish list.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I've been looking REAL hard at tha RCSI 9-position adjustable shocks....
I've had bilstiens on F-body's I paid alot for them but they lasted

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I'm real pleased with the Edelbrock IAS shocks:cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed the gas-a-just KYBs a few weeks ago and am very pleased with the feel. I have urethane bushings and the feel is stiff but not obnoxious. Best price I found was through Summit for 28 bucks I think. I also installed the urethane shock bushings as well. For 300 miles a year I figured it was a good middle of the road shock.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put the KYB Gas Adjust Shocks on my '81 & they are better than the stock .. I have Bilstein Sports on my C5 and I need them for racing, they are rougher than the factory shocks .. but as I said I need them & it is not bad at all.

:buhbye:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:huh:

OK!! Looks like Bilsteins are better shocks especially for hard driving. KYB's are a 1/3 the cost with a better ride for cruising and such. Plus a friend of my son works at Advance Auto and they are $22 & change and he can get a discount off of that.

So, any more input to help me make a decision, please!!

Thanks!!

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
DP77Vette said:

OK!! Looks like Bilsteins are better shocks especially for hard driving. KYB's are a 1/3 the cost with a better ride for cruising and such. Plus a friend of my son works at Advance Auto and they are $22 & change and he can get a discount off of that.

Thanks!!

Looks like you made up your mind. :) :)

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
DP77Vette said:

Thanks!!

:laughing:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts