Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the strongest but lightest material that can be used to make the rear shock mounts on our Corvette's?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
What is the strongest but lightest material that can be used to make the rear shock mounts on our Corvette's?

What're you planning Kyle? Trying to shave weight?

The parts themselves are not that big to begin with, so I'm wondering if making them out of a strong aluminum would really only save you a few ounces of weight, compared to stock steel parts.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
are you talking about the upper mount welded to the frame? If so, it's such a small piece of material that it's not really worth using anything exotic. Just use some decent steel and you won't have any issues welding it to the steel frame.

Are you planning to mount some coil-overs, or why do you want to strengthen the mount?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant the lower mounts. My originals were extremely pitted and weren't in the best of shape, and so the replacements I bought came from China (didn't know or wouldn't have bought). My dad's company owns a machine shop and I have access to billet aluminum, titanium, ect. so I'm deciding which would be the best to use since I don't have to pay for it:D

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
that piece is no easy thing to machine. Are you going to draw it up using CAD?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know they have CNC but not sure about CAD. I'm going to see what he can do but if he can't do anything right now that'll be fine. I'll let y'all know here in a couple weeks if he can do it or not. Have a good one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts