Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ya got and where did you get them?
I was holding out for coilovers but it's just not going to be in the budget for awhile and my shocks are shot. It's an 87 Z52 car.
Thanks for recommendations.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i guess im ridin factory:rolling: i need some new ones 2.....

27 years old

HOW ABOUT those fancy GERMAN shocks?

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Bilsteins!

They make a big difference for me over the worn out stock bilsteins (20+yrs old). That's good, long life for shocks. As Kubs posted, if you plan to upgrade the suspension, custom valve shocks are the ticket.

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Get the 84' Z51 Bilsteins, nice rough ride I love it!

After you guys replace your 20+ year old shocks, do you notice a significant change in ride height at all?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
^^^
Strange enough my buddy (you know chris) with his 88 notice a significant ride height difference when he replaced his shocks. Doesnt make much sense why, considering they do not effect your springs...

Im dreading having to replace my FX3 system :( :spanked:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
bilsteins all the way around.

·
Registered
515 Posts
^^^
Strange enough my buddy (you know chris) with his 88 notice a significant ride height difference when he replaced his shocks. Doesnt make much sense why, considering they do not effect your springs...

Im dreading having to replace my FX3 system :( :spanked:
I have used FX3 shocks I may be getting rid of soon. They came on my '90 and have 110K miles on them. They were still firm when I took them off, but Im sure they need to be rebuilt.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
I have used FX3 shocks I may be getting rid of soon. They came on my '90 and have 110K miles on them. They were still firm when I took them off, but Im sure they need to be rebuilt.
89-91 FX3 are one style

92-95 FX3 are different

the actuators are the same 89-95..

for the shocks:
in order to use the 89-91 on a 92-95 you need the 89-91 controller. to use 92-95 shocks on a 89-91 you need the 92-95 controller

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
89-91 FX3 are one style

92-95 FX3 are different

for the shocks:
in order to use the 89-91 on a 92-95 you need the 89-91 controller. to use 92-95 shocks on a 89-91 you need the 92-95 controller
is it any wonder people want to stay away from our C4s??

·
Registered
515 Posts
89-91 FX3 are one style

92-95 FX3 are different

for the shocks:
Oh yeah I forgot that. The gears on top are not the same either.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
find a set used and have them redone at Bilstein

Although you can find deals on new ones too
Might as well get my factory ones fixed up instead of buying someone else used stuff... Might as well use mine! Considering is free at this point! I didnt know that bilstien would refurb them! Ill have to check that out! Mine have only 55K on them...

·
Registered
674 Posts
On my mustang I went from KYB's to custom Bilstiens and there was a huge improvement in ride quality with smoother handling.

Putting Bilsteins back on my vette are on my to do list, about 7 years ago I put on some real crappy (i.e. cheap) shocks and regret it pretty much every day.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Using base springs and custom Bilstein shocks from vbp. Z51 springs were too stiff with the lighter weight of the car. Good handling without beating you up on the bumps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im looking for rear actuators for my '94 , along with new rear bilsteins. Any ideas?? At a reasonable price? And yes, Tour mode is Stiff, Sport is HARD and Comp mode is track only, but it sure does handle great.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Might as well get my factory ones fixed up instead of buying someone else used stuff... Might as well use mine! Considering is free at this point! I didnt know that bilstien would refurb them! Ill have to check that out! Mine have only 55K on them...
By the time you spend the 65 bucks per shock (that's if nothing else is wrong, you are not that far away from a brand new set. Bilstein does not offer warranties on their rebuilds, compared to buying brand new, which have lifetime warranties.

I think the cheapest current rate for new shocks is just under 300 bucks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts