Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

What short shifter brand/model do you have?

• Kirban

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Hurst

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • B&M Ripper

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Mallet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Breathless

Votes: 2 9.1%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been researching the forum for a few weeks to determine what brand/model short shifter and knob I want to install on my new '04 Coupe. I'm looking for a shifter that is smooth, precise with no rattle or vibration. Also, what knob did you choose for your short shifter? Please post pictures if you have them.

I'm hoping the forum family can provide me with feedback and recommendations based on their personal experiences (good, bad and the ugly). Also, have you ever had difficulty getting warranty service support for transmission related problems from the dealership when they saw you had an aftermarket short shifter?

Thanks in advance, Mike

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Great Thread.

I've been looking into this since the beginning of summer and still don't have one. Maybe I can get one installed before winter hits.

I'm watching this poll :partyon:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,563 Posts
I can't help on this one Mike. Mine's an A4. But that is going to change soon. I'll be watching this thread too since the 2000 will hopefully be owned by someone else in the next few months. The next one will be a M6.

B

·
0 Posts
I have the Hurst shorty in my Z06. I absolutely LOVE the shifter. Appproximately 40% shorter throws, very precise and firm. The Hurst is rattle free with a knob from MGW. One of the best mods ever! Makes the car feel a million times better and more fun to run through the gears. Here are a few pics of the Hurst & MGW combo installed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BLM - I agree that MGW makes some of the best aftermarket knobs. I'm considering the Pistol Grip model - Grey anodized (right picture). Based on earlier research of the forum, I think I've narrowed down my short shifter choices to a Top 2: Hurst and Kirban. However, I'm going to keep an open mind during the next several weeks and see what other owners say. Thanks. Mike

B

·
0 Posts
Well good luck in your search. The MGW knob I have is the "gripper" and it's the dark gray version, although the flash makes it look brighter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I research the forums at the zo6vette.com forum and found some interesting links regarding their short shifter surveys:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=41916&highlight=shifter+poll
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=33548&highlight=shifter+poll
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14870&highlight=shifter+poll
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=31101&highlight=shifter+poll
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14415&highlight=shifter+poll

Every poll taken seems to show the Hurst short shifter as being the best choice - slightly edging out the B&M Ripper. Interesting feedback from another vette forum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those using short shifters and have experienced vibration noise, how did you go about eliminating that noise?

I've read that some people placed adhesive tire weights (usually 6 of them) around the shifter stem; wrapped sound deadening material (commonly used in speakers) that is all hidden within the boot; and added a rubber boot (used in a BMW) inside the leather boot to eliminate the rattle/vibration noise.

What worked for you?

B

·
0 Posts
I have ZERO rattles with my set up. I have some road noise, which is normal because the OEM boot does not sit down completely around the base of the Hurst, but this can be fixed by purchasing a $3 rubber PVC cap from a hardware store.

I plan on doing it but Im too lazy. After all I cant hear the road noise with the Borla exhaust and the new sound system anyway!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BLM - I've heard about this PCV mod to reduce or eliminate the noise commonly associated with an aftermarket shifter. Can you explain what needs to be done to the rubber PVC cap? I heard it needs to be 1.5" and you drill a hold in the cap. I'm assuming you slide it down the shift step and it somehow connects to the boot or something like that?

B

·
0 Posts
You got it. I don't recall the exact size, but I think it was a 2" rubber PVC pipe cap. A hole is drilled so that it slides down the shaft of the shifter arm and this will cover the hole that is left from the stock rubber insulating boot. This supposedly eliminates the road noise from entering the passenger compartment.

Like I said previously, I'm not concerned because I cant hear it over the exhaust and radio anyway. The only time I can hear the road noise is when I am at idle with the radio off. If I listen close enough I can hear it. NO biggie in my book.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the Kirban short shifter. I've shortend it a little more and added a flameball :partyon: www.flameball.com
The shifter is really quiet but a little notchy though! The flameball rocks at night. It has a very small bulb for night time illumination. Check them out for something a little different!!:cheers:

·
Registered
367 Posts
I still like my Ripper even though I missed a 3-4 shift and blew my clutch. I think it was more my fault than the shifter. Here's some pics with my MGW knob.

·
Registered
288 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
I have the Hurst shorty in my Z06. I absolutely LOVE the shifter. Appproximately 40% shorter throws, very precise and firm. The Hurst is rattle free with a knob from MGW. One of the best mods ever! Makes the car feel a million times better and more fun to run through the gears. Here are a few pics of the Hurst & MGW combo installed.

:agree: I've got the same setup, including the gripper knob, and love it. It was a lot stiffer at first, but either I got used to it or it is broken in now, 'cause it's a lot better. I do have a little more tranny noise, because the stock insulator is gone, but none of the rattling that some complain of. Highly recommend. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have used the Corvette Concepts shifter in my last 2 Corvettes with the stock knob. I tried the Kirban it was to stiff for daily driving. Jake cuts the stock shifter and does some other mods it is great.Check corvetteconcepts.com I am no way affiliated with Jake he just has great products.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Mike,

Here's my B&M Ripper and MOMO black Endurance leather shift boot with MOMO chrome Ghiere gear shift knob finisher and MOMO Sphere Aluminum shift knob.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
I have about 11K miles on the hurst shifter. Never had any vibration with either the MGW triple chrome shifter or the new West Coast Corvettes knob.

I prefer the WCC shifter from a usage standpoint but just by a small amount.

I recommend installing the softer larger spring with the softer inner spring as I just did this last week. Now the shifts are easy like a stock shifter and shorter as well.

JMO...if anyone has vibration its usually the shift knob or installation..

Great product. IMHO

JB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts