Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On big blocks running 14mm, 3/4" reach, 5/8 hex plugs with Hooker 2-1/8" diameter pipes clearance issues exist between plugs, plug boots and wires and the header pipes, as seen in other threads. There was a Tech tip in Jegs about using Champion RC12YC plugs for this application because they are about 1/4" shorter than other plugs. This turned out to be true and made life easier. There was another brand plug named as well...NGK BKR5E.

In trying to solve a misfire problem at 6000rpm, I was looking for a colder heat range plug...the next colder one in the same Champion line (RC10YC). Couldn't find it easily, so I went with the NGK plugs, but also in one range colder (BKR6E). While these plugs didn't solve the mis-fire problem, to my surprise, they are shorter than the Champions by another 1/8"!
Yippee!

·
Registered
210 Posts
here's another tool for BBC with big tube headers:
"Goodson's Lockit Socket"
for some reason it's showing not available on the website right now, but you can find it on page 6 of the 05 catalog. the thing to notice is the very small diameter down to the hex. this prevented me from having to heat and bend a bunch of tubes . . .

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That particular one is a short reach plug (3/8" I think). I have looked before at Accel, but they didn't make a long reach plug, which a BBC requires. May be they have since come out with one.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Fred I'm using Autolight Platinum AP3924 They seem to be nearly the correct heat range in my old 427. although I have to do some more time on my new motor

I'm very impressed with my new 434 build.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fred I'm using Autolight Platinum AP3924 They seem to be nearly the correct heat range in my old 427. although I have to do some more time on my new motor

I'm very impressed with my new 434 build.
HI, George. I looked up the Autolite plug. It's not a resistor type plug. The site info said it was a "suppresser". Not sure what effect using a non-resistor would have. More importantly, I can't tell if it's a "shorty" style.

Glad your motor is up to snuff. We need some video of you at the track.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes they are shorter than "standard plugs" I gave up on radios and radar detectors years ago in my Vette. Once I installed the Crane digital multispark, Taylor 409 Prowires........... my Valentine One radar laser detector just continually goes off. Way to much EMF to worry about even using a resistor type plug.

I have decided what a 434 really wanted was a big modern single plane and enough cam to give it lots of air.

Oh, I'm using 11.8 compression and a 4 hole wood spacer to give me more low end TQ:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they are shorter than "standard plugs" I gave up on radios and radar detectors years ago in my Vette. Once I installed the Crane digital multispark, Taylor 409 Prowires........... my Valentine One radar laser detector just continually goes off. Way to much EMF to worry about even using a resistor type plug.

I have decided what a 434 really wanted was a big modern single plane and enough cam to give it lots of air.

Oh, I'm using 11.8 compression and a 4 hole wood spacer to give me more low end TQ:thumbsup:
George,

You have a great combo for power...hood clearance, high compression and no need for the car to be particularly streetable with regard to the cam. Do your heads have the traditional 1-2-1 exhaust port layout or are they spaced out like a BBC? Now if both of us could just get the word "longevity" associated with our respective engines, we'd both be happy.

I'm really pleased with these plugs, the length makes for much easier installation and no worries about the spark jumping to the headers, which was a problem before with these Hookers and the 18mm plugs on my previous factory heads.

Happy motoring.

Fred

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have to economize some where. The smart person would go with spread port small block heads and headers right off the start. That way you would not have to retire your $600 Hooker super comps.

I will go to the store and take one of my plugs with me and compare the length.

The spark plug gap has alot to do with whether it arcs through the wires or not. So I have just kept my plug gap down to .050. I have tried out to .070 without any problems

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
What is the problem? Installing the plugs or burning the boots? I have 3 very tight fitting plugs and solved the problem with spark plug extenders. I use normal plugs in these 3 holes and then snap a 4 inch pure ceramic extender onto the plug moving the spark plug boot connection well out of harms way.
I can post pictures on this if it would help.
If installing is the problem I too have this problems and made a variety of tools to help the installation.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to economize some where. The smart person would go with spread port small block heads and headers right off the start. That way you would not have to retire your $600 Hooker super comps.

I will go to the store and take one of my plugs with me and compare the length.

The spark plug gap has alot to do with whether it arcs through the wires or not. So I have just kept my plug gap down to .050. I have tried out to .070 without any problems
Economize...me too. No criticism intended, I just wondered if you were dealing with the same geometry as on a BBC. These NGK BKR5E plugs and the RC12YC Champions work fine in the clearance department. They are approx 0.35" and 0.23" shorter, respectively, than the R43XLS 18mm plugs. No problems fitting and keeping the boots away away from the tubes. I'm at 0.50" tgap also. When I get another problem sorted out, I will get serious about the heat range.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the problem? Installing the plugs or burning the boots? I have 3 very tight fitting plugs and solved the problem with spark plug extenders. I use normal plugs in these 3 holes and then snap a 4 inch pure ceramic extender onto the plug moving the spark plug boot connection well out of harms way.
I can post pictures on this if it would help.
If installing is the problem I too have this problems and made a variety of tools to help the installation.
I'm good now with these shorty plugs thanks to a tip in Jeg's. Nos. 1 and 3 were a problem before. Even cooked my good MSD boots through the socks before. A OK now.

How's the big monster coming, Mr. Blown 540? You might have to put wheelie bars on there. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts