Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Local Vette shop here in town has a 93 GMC Typhoon for sale and Im trying to get my father to trade are Van in for it. The People that own This Corvette dealership Each have one and the both have Syclones to (Typhoons little bro pickup version). Have you guys heard any Pros and cons about these types of Vehicles. They are Great for Winter (AWD) and faster then most stuff on the street. (4.3 liter V-6 Turbo charged and inter cooled) BTW this will be my first car if I can convince my Mom that I wont speed.:laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
You are in for a headache if you get that pup.

It'll spend a lot of time in the shop. My understand is that they are a mechanical nightmare, mainly engine component related.

They are fast as crap, and you can mod them and get superb power out of them.... they launch like a rocket.... but they just aren't reliable.

My 2 cents....

:D

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
the dealership i used to work for had one and it had to go to the shop before it even hit the lot...

B

·
0 Posts
Those damn things are quick as hell....I drove a Cyclone once and couldnt believe how it got up and boogied for a 6 banger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Typhoons are awesome cars, i would LOVE to have one, but they just arent good daily drivers. i know that some people do use them as daily drivers, but they really shouldnt be. that are pretty rare. syclones were made in 91, maybe 92, and typhoons were made in 92 and 93. so there arent that many of them.

but yes, they are fast as hell off the line, stock sy/ty is faster then a stock vette of the same year in the 1/4mile. thats one of the reasons that they stopped making them.

awesome cars, but not good for a first time driver, or a daily driver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
actually, when i got my check from insurance 16,500 for my truck, i was thinking about buying a typhoon, and then getting a daily driver. but then i realized that when i broke, and it will, i wouldnt be able to afford it.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,667 Posts
a guy in our car club(Da Hawaiian Punch also knows him)has a cyclone,its very reliable(his anyway)it has 120,000 miles and is now being rebuild,not because it broke,runs 13.5 .i think its bone stock.i havent seen him for a couple months,or i would ask a few questions for you.i dont know this guy,but theres one(cyclone)on the home page of this local club www.efiunlimited.com click on the picture of the truck,you can check out the ladies later;) this is the club with the ferrari's,vettes,lambos etc...
later Todd.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Soon2BeDragg said:
actually, when i got my check from insurance 16,500 for my truck, i was thinking about buying a typhoon, and then getting a daily driver. but then i realized that when i broke, and it will, i wouldnt be able to afford it.
This the pup you totalled? Ouch!!!!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I worked with a guy that owned one and he must of been lucky! He beat the snot out of his for two years and the only work done to it was an upgraded Turbo due to the original one going bad (after 60,000 miles if I remember correctly).

I'd love to get one myself, would be a fun vehicle. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
a guy in our car club(Da Hawaiian Punch also knows him)has a cyclone,its very reliable(his anyway)it has 120,000 miles and is now being rebuild,not because it broke,runs 13.5 .i think its bone stock.i havent seen him for a couple months,or i would ask a few questions for you.i dont know this guy,but theres one(cyclone)on the home page of this local club www.efiunlimited.com click on the picture of the truck,you can check out the ladies later;) this is the club with the ferrari's,vettes,lambos etc...
later Todd.
yup, it wasnt my fault though, some guy was trying to cross the street, he had a stop sign, i had the right away. he says he didnt see me :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
later Todd.

Syclone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts