Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak in my exhaust manifold and i have to replace to gaskets should i do it myself or should i have someone else do it? i know i can do it but would it be better to have someone who really knows what there doing do it or should i just save my money and do it myself?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Do it yourself. That is one of the easier things you can do on a small block Chevy. Then when your done grab a beer and stand back and smile to yourself for a job well done.:cheers:

What part of Fl. are you in?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If we are talking about headers then yes replace the gasket yourself. If we are talking about the original cast iron manifolds alot of the bolts could be seized in the head and could lead to trouble.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strider said:
If we are talking about headers then yes replace the gasket yourself. If we are talking about the original cast iron manifolds alot of the bolts could be seized in the head and could lead to trouble.
i will definately keep that in mind thank u!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Strider said:
Yep frozen bolts are the norm, try soaking them down for a few days before the job (p.b. blaster /wd40 or the like). see if you can get a 6 point socket on bolt heads,,,, 12 points round off corners to easy.
Heat up engine (take for a drive), the heat should help when trying to loosen the bolts, wear gloves/ hot engine. If you get the bolts broke loose, you can let the engine cool off awhile before finishing the job.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I was able to pull off both manifolds off my '79 with not much wrenching effort... just wear gloves and watch your knuckles....

You'll probably spend more time taking all the plug wire shielding, EFE, A.I.R., and other emmsions stuff off than the manifolds....taking the AC comp off too takes some time as well if you have it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts