Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just got an 88 vette and the paint is ... pretty good i guess. BUT! the nose and the rear are really faded and there are the usual scratches in various places on the car. What i'm wondering is if getting it painted a different color would affect the cars value negatively at all. Anyone have any thoughts? I've always liked black.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
StomVette88 said:
Well i just got an 88 vette and the paint is ... pretty good i guess. BUT! the nose and the rear are really faded and there are the usual scratches in various places on the car. What i'm wondering is if getting it painted a different color would affect the cars value negatively at all. Anyone have any thoughts? I've always liked black.
I say do it. It's your car to enjoy. I don't think it'll reduce the value of your car at all (unless you paint it an UGLY color). But should increase the "happiness" value because you'll appreciate that shiny new paint!

I never think of resale value... mainly because I can't imagine being able to sell it after how much I've pounded on it.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,973 Posts
If you like black then go for it. Thats the best part of having these cars make em a reflection of what you like. What color is it now?
If it's an anniversary edition you might have resale problems but I'm with Patrick resale isn't a concern.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,667 Posts
one thing is you must take it to someone who will use quality paint and strip the bumpers.or the paint will practicly fall off the nose.ive seen it a hundred times.mine as well.Maako is not an option.just my experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with Hawaii. If you get it done I would go somewhere to get it done right.

Avoid Earl Scheib and Maako and any "fly by night shop" Especially if you plan on switching colors. The uglyest thing I have seen is when a car is painted a different color and the interior cracks are not. You will want a place that will do the door jams and trunk area. Some places are good enough nowto even do the engine area w.o removing the engine.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
psycojet said:
I agree with Hawaii. If you get it done I would go somewhere to get it done right.

Avoid Earl Scheib and Maako and any "fly by night shop" Especially if you plan on switching colors. The uglyest thing I have seen is when a car is painted a different color and the interior cracks are not. You will want a place that will do the door jams and trunk area. Some places are good enough nowto even do the engine area w.o removing the engine.
Earl Scheib? I thought they were just in Chicago! Nice to see the guy is painting cars for $99 still. :surprised

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
If thats what you want, you should do it. I don't think you'll be wanting to sell if for a while anyway. :laughing:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd do it too.........the only suggestion I'd make is to buy a new front and rear bumper cover. If yours are the original urethane and it isnt wavy it will be eventually....I once saw this c4 where the guy spent a mint on the Dupont chrome-illusion paint and the covers were all wavy :-( What a waste!
:partyon:

·
Registered
96 Posts
i recently purchased an 82 crossfire and plan to restore the body and paint it a color i think will suit it. I suggest you paint the car to suit your own personality , its your car , you should drive what you want, thats why you bought the vette right?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have a 84 ,and color change is on mym mind to(see stormy sunday blues)but now i have second thoughts.black looks great on a C_4

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well you guys said avoid maaco and i believe you but i was just wondering. I got my firebird painted there over a year ago and im pretty sure its fiberglass with plastic front and rear like the vette and im satisfied with that paint job almost 100% (for the money at least) is there any reason to think it would look crappier on teh vette and what about the "waviness" or whatever someone mentioned?

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Let's take a few steps back....

What about taking the car to a good detail shop so they can hit it with the high-speed porter cable polisher and some 3M products?

It's a lot cheaper than a repaint, and I bet you'd be AMAZED by the results.

At the very least you can take it to a detailer (find a good one). And see what they tell you.:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts