Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I get that question every week, and every case differs quite a bit, especially in the sbc cylinder heads potential your talking about and costs envolved, but in most cases lets face facts those stock sbc iron heads or small port aluminum performance heads, just won,t get you to your goals economically
now that even includes some aluminum ones, even after the expensive port work they don,t measure up to the better large port aftermarket performance cylinder heads,
yes your heads can be ported by a reputable shop, and yes Im aware you just payed $400 or $600 or even $1000 to get those race ready heads from (EBAY,XYZ SPEED & CUSTOM,ETC. and in fact those heads may be exactly what you really need and they don,t need any further work to reach your goals, so keep that in mind but heres the problem,if your looking for max performance, and by that im assuming youll want, 470hp plus, lets assume you can sell those heads for about $600-$800 IF THERE IN GOOD SHAPE, AND IT COSTS ABOUT $600-$1000 FOR A GOOD CAREFULLY DONE PORTING JOB, THAT INCLUDES NEW SPRINGS,CLEARANCE WORK,ETC.! your looking at about either spending $600-$1000 to get them set up correctly or selling them and adding $600-$1000 exactly the same out of pocket expence for $1200-$1800 new better flowing heads, either way your adding $600-$1000 exactly the same out of pocket expence
but buy selling the heads and starting with better heads like the AFR or DART PRO-1,PRO-LIGHTNINGS,ETC,you find, some or all of the following advantages, thicker castings,new less stressed heads, better port designs, larger or more efficient ports, larger or lighter weight valves,better quality springs, greater clearances,more efficient combustion chambers,an generally an easy gain in overall potential.
now if your looking for less than about 450hp the stock or mildly ported and reworked heads may be fine as they are!

example of porting costs

http://www.castheads.com/heads_folder/1heads_set.html

http://www.chrracingproducts.com/

and heres something few shops will tell you
" the intake and exhaust flow, and the cam you match to them, can easilly limit the air flow reaching the cylinder heads to such a great extent than no amount of port work on the heads will have a major beneficial effect"

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Porting and Polishing increases flow, efficiency and power. If you can afford it, by all means do so!!!:D

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
I'd like to get my car to around 400 RWHP... right now LT4's dyno at around 300 RWHP.

I currently have Corsa exhaust, open lid and gutted cats. Nothing impressive.

My overall goal with the car is to be able to drag race, road race and drive across the country (thousands of miles). So, reliability is very important.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Patrick...

84GRANDSPORT or any other forum member who knows my car, knows it's a daily driver and I take it everywhere. I'm probably around 370 rear wheel(460 crank, by the 120.2 mph and 3400 pounds w me in it) now.

If you dial the combination right, there is no reason drivability, streetability would be compromised. You CAN have your cake and eat it too. It just takes time and effort.

My 61 year old Mom has driven my car when Her car was in the shop :cool:

·
Super Moderator
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and keep in mind, your not the only one on a limited budget!
I broke my ankle 26 months ago and have not been able to work since! "Im still recovering from the SECOND surgical rebuild of my ankle"
I have a project corvette that Im SLOWLY gathering the parts for the necessary 600hp/600ftlbs,big block engine, dana 60 rear suspension,4L80e trans, swap to make it into my dream car, trust me, a larger budget would help a great deal. but one piece of advice that Ive learned the HARD WAY OVER YEARS AND HUNDREDS OF PROJECTS,

" if your going to have the kind of results that make you proud of the car you built,youll need too make a list of the parts youll need to realistically build your dream car, then aquire those parts as the budget allows, NEVER SUBSTITUTE PARTS that were a" DEAL" simply because they were cheaper, thats the number one most comon mistake! after just not doing any homework and buying random ("cool" but totally mis-matched parts)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I paid $320 to have my AFR 190's ported when my 357 sbc was put together. I believe the engine builder only charged me $40 per cylinder on each head for the porting work. Nonthing fancy and extreme since the AFR 190 alread flow like crazy and the ports were already port matched (felpro 1205) to my miniram II.

*correction

1 - 6 of 6 Posts