Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a 1986 corvette for 2 years and loved it to death. Sadly 6 months ago I sold it for $5000. All in all it cost me $13,000. Biggest expense was rebuilding the tranny ($2000.00) bucks.

But not a day goes by that I don't miss my corvette. I just got engaged and would love to drive away in a vette of my own. Can't spend alot... or I risk not getting married. Found this ad on CL... $1800 bucks... I could part it out for more than that.... Should I? http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/2119791810.html

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
IMHO A brand new Vette will cost alot less than getting married.
:agree::cheers:

It's all about "Give & Take"
Give her your wallet & take what she dishes out :laughing:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
If she feels the same way, you buying a Vette will not change any thing.

·
Super Moderator
8,498 Posts
If she feels the same way, you buying a Vette will not change any thing.
true :thumbsup:and your unlikely to loose money at that price, but THINK IT THRU, your now in a situation where you BOTH need to SHARE decisions

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
My wife MADE me buy the current one. Perhaps it was because I kept talking about it and it was worth the money to shut me up.

:laughing:

If it's something you want, she SHOULD be supportive.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just Do it.

Just make it a long term project LOL.

When I purchaed mine last year My wife was not thrilled about it but she got over it.

Then she has know idea how much money I put in to it so far LOL.

I give up alot for the family like you going to but this my project keeps me out of trouble and they know where and what I doing after taking care of the family first.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I love my wife of 20+ years but if I had it to do over Im not so sure. This would definitely be a good test to put her through BEFORE you marry her. :D
If you have never been married before you wouldn't believe what your getting into unless you have been there before. You aren't just marrying her your marrying her entire family. She may be OK with it and then the in-laws start talking in her ear about how you put a car ahead of her marriage. You would never believe some of the politics in marriage. Just saying be really careful before you sign on.

·
Registered
543 Posts
LOL thats so true.

One more think longer you marreid to them more nuts they become.:WTF

{QUOTE=Altered;1837696]I love my wife of 20+ years but if I had it to do over Im not so sure. This would definitely be a good test to put her through BEFORE you marry her. :D
If you have never been married before you wouldn't believe what your getting into unless you have been there before. You aren't just marrying her your marrying her entire family. She may be OK with it and then the in-laws start talking in her ear about how you put a car ahead of her marriage. You would never believe some of the politics in marriage. Just saying be really careful before you sign on.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Love? Thats just a word wait for the BS, possesion, in laws, in laws visiting without warning, in laws telling you how to run your house.

I was married and the in-laws were 2,000 miles away. I was blessed in that dept. but, I've seen horrible stuff.

Think about marriage, thats is not a part that you can swap it in two hours if it doesn't work.

Regarding your Vette, looks like a project. Lets see how she likes you wrenching that thing for 3-5 hours on the weekends.

I was married, I hated it and it started two hours after I did it. Loved being deployed to Okinawa and Iraq it got me away from her. Got divorced after 5 years. My ex-girlfriend is my ex now because she wanted to get married and I told her that I was not marrying her.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hmm... I would keep the Vette or any other kind'a hot car out of the picture until you have a serious sit down discussion with your wife to be. Vette's or any other kind of hot car can be a major time and money black hole even in the best of times or the best of circumstances. Vettes are always gonna be available, if not this one then certainly another. But financial problems have tried and destroyed many a marriage and many relationships. The silent whispers of other people (meddlers) and not just the in-laws can also reek havoc on an otherwise stable marriage. I am just saying... be careful my friend. We here all love Vettes but you would not be posing this question on this forum if in heart of hearts, you were not harboring also, some serious concerns regarding these thoughts over this purchase. The real question is, are your fields so ready that you could harvest this issue? In my deepest respect to you, stay well my friend. :cheers:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congrats on the engagement.

Both of ya'll should sit down and talk about it. $1800 cash aint that bad.

Me personally, I always keep 2 Corvettes--(just in case)
She trys to break camp. Then, we both can have one.:lookinup:

I LOVE HER

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just do it and use it as a guage to see how the marriage will be.

First wife hated cars UNLESS OF COURSE IF THEY WERE NEW:crazy:

Didn't want me to have any projects, no toys so she's now a distant memory:thumbsup: (lasted 6 months)

Current wife of 16+ years is all for me having projects and toys, I currently have two Corvettes in finished state with a third waiting for me to find time :laughing:

The ex hated pretty much everything I liked and it became apparrent real quick that we were 2 different people once we got hitched, my current wife loves seeing the finished car/project and enjoys digging thru the auctions and antique shops with me for my other hobbies(I collect Gas station and Pop items, pumps, machines, cans ect)

Reason I'm saying this is its better to find out what may happen down the road now then take a blind leap of faith only to find out that you are subject to her rule, if wrenching on cars make you happy and she's against it you may resent her later and thats an ugly road to travel been there done that, and everyone needs to have their thing that keeps them sane mine is cars and antiques the wife collects carnival glass and a few other thing. so find out know if your a match or if theres things you need to talk about:cheers:

Hope ya got a keeper

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
That decision (buy or not) would have been made as soon as I saw the ad, I wouldn't ask anybody anthing except the owner & that question would be, whats the address? is cash OK? & do you have time right now to go to the notery? You cant loose here, you'll have your car for cheep if you decide to keep it or make a good profit parting out or fixing & selling. Plus you'd find out quickly how she feels about it, may save some greef down the road.
Rich

·
Registered
2020 Corvette black over black
232 Posts
holy cow, some of this advice...

dude, you're getting hitched, you shouldn't be thinking about cars for god's sake

i know this is a corvette forum and lord knows i love corvettes, but you need to prioritize, man

either buy the car and enjoy wrenching it for the next 500 weekends or get married, i'm sorry but you can't do both at the same time

·
Registered
56 Posts
Go for it!!! Both of them!! I've been married for a few years and I love it. Currently I'm rebuilding an '86 I've had for quite some time. It's been parked for 10 years! My wife remembers it when we were young so she pushes me! The only difference is I had memories with her in mine in the past, but if you buy it you can have the memories from day 1 like we did.

As for the car. I'm with the other guy... "address please!!!" As for time getting it running a few decent weekends and some love and elbow grease and it's driveable. Body work, I'll let you know when I do it. Money for fixing. Negligible considering car payments $100's x 12mos/year!!!! You'll learn alot. I remember spending weeks looking for a code that wasn't in my Hayes manual.. "MAF burnoff relay anyone?" But with internet now it'd take me minutes.. Ahh... the days of yester year!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hell yeah I'd buy it, parts alone are worth more than that. Then, before you get married go out and buy a good used C5 Z06, Quickly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts