Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I put Nitros on my car?

I have really wanted too for a while, but thought I would ask what would you do. 2002 z06 with air intake and exhaust, I go to the track alot during the summer, but dont want to ruin the car.

I have been offered a good deal on a NXL kit witch goes in with no drilling and looks awesome and would be 120 hp shot. I would probably only use it about 3 or 4 times a year and think if I got into a good race it would help.

It would make my plates right...1BADZ06
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,221 Posts
Nitrous is cool, but I wouldn't go that big of a shot.

I plan to do a 75 shot in my GS. Now, other folks have done 125 hp consistently, but I can't afford a new internal combustion engine..... know whut I mean vern?
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
I'm doing it real soon,Hawaiian Punch just got his kit today.
Most C5s knock off .8 to a full second with a 100hp shot.
I will order my kit the day after christmas,get one on sale.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
I don't know how true it is but I have heard that nitrous is actualy safer for your engine then a super charger. I was talking to Mike at west coast corvettes about getting a super charger compared to a nitrous system for my car, he told me that majority of the blown engines that come in to their shop are from super chargers so his recomendation was the nitrous system.

For what it's worth,

Z06POWER:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,151 Posts
HELL YES!!!!! Give her a little gas.....
If you don't like it..... don't turn it on!!!!
a supercharger puts stress on your engine every time you step on it!!
NOS only adds stress when u turn it on!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well doesnt look good, 2330.00 $$$$$ installed, I just didnt want to spend that kind of money on something I can never get back. I dunno still thinking about it, May try too after first of the year.:surprised
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
Nitrous works has a kit for my car 100-125 horsepower,(wet)for 800 dollars,takes about 3 hours to install.should be the same kit for yours.:(

i will post the web-site a little later,i can't remember it.
 

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
Joined
·
39,513 Posts
JCswm said:
HELL YES!!!!! Give her a little gas.....
If you don't like it..... don't turn it on!!!!
If I had it I'd have to have a tanker truck follow me around. It would be on every time I let a light or wanted to pass somebody
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,221 Posts
3 hours to install?:laughing: It could take you 3 hours just to find the perfect spot for the go-button and wire it all really nicely.

Well, a Nitrous system with purge valvle, remote bottle opener, bottle heater... that all adds up to $$$$$.... plus for a professional install, that price sounds right on.

At the very minimum I'll be spraying a 75 shot next year, unless I can do some real motor work if the $$$ allows. Then, no NOS.
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
3 hours to install?:laughing: It could take you 3 hours just to find the perfect spot for the go-button and wire it all really nicely.

Well, a Nitrous system with purge valvle, remote bottle opener, bottle heater... that all adds up to $$$$$.... plus for a professional install, that price sounds right on.

At the very minimum I'll be spraying a 75 shot next year, unless I can do some real motor work if the $$$ allows. Then, no NOS.
he,he,i install nitrous oxide at work,much higher pressure,
the kit i like only needs a purge kit extra,everything else is there.
the button will go in the ash tray,the bottle wiil close in the back,and not be seen,i already have a hole in the fire wall (with a plug in it now)and damn it i'm ready to go,were's the kit,oh ya,i didn't pay for it yet,:rolleyes:
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,221 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
he,he,i install nitrous oxide at work,much higher pressure,
the kit i like only needs a purge kit extra,everything else is there.
the button will go in the ash tray,the bottle wiil close in the back,and not be seen,i already have a hole in the fire wall (with a plug in it now)and damn it i'm ready to go,were's the kit,oh ya,i didn't pay for it yet,:rolleyes:
Should I put NOS on my chopper?:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Even though that kit looks awesome. I think that direct port is a little overkill if you just going to do about 100 shot. There is a dry nitrous kit from N.O.S. (Holley) that I would think would be less expensive and it is also designed specificaly for the LS1. Don't give up, shop around some more. It might not look as cool as that, but you would still have 100hp at the touch of a button.

Sorry, I know this tread has been dead for almost a year. Its just that I am starting to think about putting nitrous oxide in my Corvette when ever I finally get it.

Steven
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Patrick said:
Nitrous is cool, but I wouldn't go that big of a shot.

I plan to do a 75 shot in my GS. Now, other folks have done 125 hp consistently, but I can't afford a new internal combustion engine..... know whut I mean vern?
You've got my curiousity up. Isn't the GS gone? Maybe none of my biz, just curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
yeah i have been thinkin about NOS since i bought my SS.

A few things i would like to ask though....


Is it cheap to refill the bottles and where would you get a refill from?

Also when you run out does that mean that the car cant be floored or cant drive at all?? (sorry very noob to this)


And the most important thing i can think of is
will a stock internal Ls1 on a 97 handle this kinda beating?

How long does a bottle last and the spurt last?

and how much would it cost with everything you need.

I remember hearing something about 97 C5's having bigger injecters or something along them lines on this forum... Would that be a benifit in the future if i did install NOS?

Whats a bottle warmer and the purge vavle do that the parts in the kit dont come with ??:bang
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
When you run out, you can still drive and floor it. That is one of the good things about Nitrous Oxide is that you don't use it all the time. Just during short burst during acceleration. When you have a Nitrous kit, your car is the same as it was before you installed the kit until you push that button or flip that switch.

Steven
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
anyone else got any input on the other things i was asking.... cause im really deabting this right now guys lol I think I might order tomm !! lol
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top