Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start this in a new thread.

I did a search on a VIN for a C3 I am interested in. It sounds like a good deal and I am going to look at it tomorrow. I have a mechanic lined up to inspect it once I take a look.

I was just playing around with the VIN in google and the car did show up just as I expected it too. Problem is, the car also showed up as a totally different year as well as a convertible versus a coupe.

Not all of the pages show the VIN with the picture though so it is tough to tell if that is the actual car.

So far I have been told the car is all original (minus the paint and seats).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just realized I only have 13 rather than 17 digits.

Nothing special about the corvette, I should have a 17 digit VIN, right?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the link. I read through it and did some more searching. Looks like the C3s only had 13 digit VINs.

I also went back and looked at the pages that came up in my previous VIN searches. The one I am considering is the only one that matches the year code. Also, a close look at the page did not show the VIN I was searching for on the page for the other vehicles.

Google is great, but you have to watch closely sometimes.

Crisis (hopefully) averted.

I'll discuss it with my mechanic when I have him inspect it (if I decide to move forward with buying it).

By the way, may be a stupid question, but is CARFAX good for cars built in 1973?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...is CARFAX good for cars built in 1973?...
No. CARFAX requires a 17 character VIN. It will not have any information for older cars.

I'm not sure what you're finding in Google with your VIN searches, but I would advise not to use any Google links as any type of verification.

Your best source for vehicle documentation is always original factory documentation with the vehicle. Ask the seller for all he/she has when negotiating the deal.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Check the state DMV. Here in Florida you can check the title on line for no charge if you have the VIN.

It helped me out on the camaro, as it was too old for Carfax. And I wanted to make sure it had a valid title.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
It may be obvious, but you could always start by matching the VIN on the body to the partial VIN stamped on the engine block.

As far as CARFAX, like everyone else said thats a no go. Its too bad these older cars are much tougher to track. The National Corvette Museum has records for all Corvettes, unfortunately its '81 and on (Bowling Green built Vettes). I missed it all the new record keeping by 1 year with my 1980 lol

However, there is a company that can access records for you if you give them your VIN. They can get you a copy of the original invoice for your car. It has pretty cool information including all the build options, dates, prices, and receiving dealership. It cost like $30 I think. You can find a similar sheet on top of your gas tank if its still there (during production they tucked one up there lol). I actually found mine, but it was so weathered you could barely read it.... thats what prompted me to order one from the company I mentioned.

If you are interested let me know and I can see if I can hunt down the info for that company.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Post your VIN; all 81s had the new 17 character VIN. The feds required it. 80s had the older 13 character numbers.

:thumbsup:
He's also in Belgium. What's the chances his VIN has been changed... :cheers:

·
Registered
978 Posts
I know the OP was interested in this info, so I figured Id post it here in case anyone else wanted it as well. Some of you may already have it.

Stacy Lillard
GM Media Archive - Vehicle Invoices
p.734-421-0273 x.107
f.734-261-5216

I believe they can go back through the 70's and probably even further to get you a copy of your original invoice!

I dont know how much help itll be in verifying the car, but its pretty cool to have. Like I said it gives you a TON of cool info like:

Shipping method from factory (Mine was RAIL)

VIN

Date the car was Shipped

A list of all options, MSRP for each, and the cost for each.

MSRP for the car, and dealer cost for the car. (Mine was $16270.40 and $10595.52)

And finally the receiving dealership info, which I find the coolest. It was fun to find out where the car was originally sold from. For me it was only a few towns over... unfortunately the dealership has since closed so I cant contact them for any more records.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
80vette82 and markmark, thanks for the info. I am curious to see where this one started out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Know it is Sunday, but tried the numbers to see if I got a recorded message. Wanted to post that one number did not work and the other number was to a normal phone number. Thought I would put that out before some poor guy received several phone calls that were wrong numbers.

I did a search for the GM Media Center, here is the web site. It explains how to find info, but is not to encouraging for vetts built in the early 70's. May still be worth a try though.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Wow! $50? Won't the NCM do that for you and more for $25? I don't have the link handy, but if you can't find it, pm me and I'll look for a link:cheers:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may be wrong but I think the NCM only goes back to 81' and they only have the ones built in Bowling Green.

I will check with them tomorrow, but I don't think they can help me. I am looking for a 73' that was built in St. Louis.

Looking at the Heritage site, I am not sure they have the info either. But hey, with Time Warner long distance calls are free. Won't cost a thing.:laughing:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
It was just a thought off the top of my head. I'd like to get the info from the NCM, but I only think of it when I can't afford it:laughing:. Keepin the coupe in MY garage instead of someone else's is the key right now :cheers:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am all for that. I am trying to do the same. With the exception that I am trying to get one back in my garage. It just looks lonely and sad without a vette in there.

Think I am real close, maybe a week out...:cheers:

Every penny counts.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Good luck in your search. Make sure to post some pics when get her:cheers:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts