Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If side pipes are added what will be the efect on hp?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
That all depends on what exhaust you have now. And what you go to, headers, pipe size, Etc.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Mine felt a lot better after putting them on. I had probably 1 5/8 headers before.

The mufflers improved the throttle response also.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
I had open side pipes on my 72 many years ago. It was loud, very loud. Looked great until I fried my leg getting out one day. If you have any little kids around be careful, when my nephew ran up to the car one day because he was attracted to the chrome pipes I was lucky to stop be before he touched them. I removed them after that. Just something to think about.
Now my gear head kid has flowmaster 40's on his 75. They are hidden and just as loud as my pipes were. I'm using 50's on my 72 and like them better, but I'm not 22 anymore either! :laughing:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I had open side pipes on my 72 many years ago. It was loud, very loud. Looked great until I fried my leg getting out one day. If you have any little kids around be careful, when my nephew ran up to the car one day because he was attracted to the chrome pipes I was lucky to stop be before he touched them. I removed them after that. Just something to think about.
Now my gear head kid has flowmaster 40's on his 75. They are hidden and just as loud as my pipes were. I'm using 50's on my 72 and like them better, but I'm not 22 anymore either! :laughing:
Gary, how's the DRONE on any of them?? what you remember anyway....

I have had more damn muffler combos, and anything 'better' than stock vette ovals '72, are just toooo damn loud...ok at higher rpm's but that lugging along at 1800 rpm's just drives me NUTZ....like living in a steel drum band....

:spanked: :spanked: :WTF

OH, edit....I have 2.5 inch pipes with H pipe after the tranny....and stock vette ovals now....

it's too quiet, I would like louder, but NO DRONING....

·
Registered
697 Posts
not sure where your getting that nasty drone from.....mine sound smooth and have a nice low end tone all the time except for when you mash the pedal.

Hooker headers, side pipes and STS baffles

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
OH, edit....I have 2.5 inch pipes with H pipe after the tranny....and stock vette ovals now....

Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers :thumbsup:

Quiet until you push the right pedal down....

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
Gary, how's the DRONE on any of them?? what you remember anyway....

I have had more damn muffler combos, and anything 'better' than stock vette ovals '72, are just toooo damn loud...ok at higher rpm's but that lugging along at 1800 rpm's just drives me NUTZ....like living in a steel drum band....

:spanked: :spanked: :WTF

Gene,
The sidepipes were just plain loud, people heard me coming up the street 3 blocks way. Forget about using the radio or talking to anyone in the car. It was cool for a while then got old and the kids really scared me.
The 40s are too much for me but perfect for the car- 370 hp, 4 spd, 373 gears, 280 cam, demon 750 DP.
The 50's are ok by me, I just don't like the way I hung the RH side. I made up my own pipes and welded everything- I must have had my head cocked because the LH side is good but the RH isn't. I just don;t feel like cutting and welding it yet. These is no drone with the 50's but there is with the 40's at 2500RPM.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gary the loud pipes might be a little loud but they sure look good.
mine sounds good now and if I just changed to 2.5" all the way back with good headers and freeflows that should help the hp and the sound should be ok. Its a hard decision I need to find some one local with side pipes ( no small kids):thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts