Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsup:

The look is awsome. I didn't have to to any mods to the body to make the side pipe headers work. The sound is great too!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Nice!! Nothing beats the sound of SIDEPIPES. I put the STS baffles in mine and just love 'em.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,899 Posts
I think sidepipes really make the C3 look cool.

BTW that is one big antenna you go there :laughing:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very nice

·
Registered
550 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
658 Posts
nice

What make arev they?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What make arev they?
I searched around a lot for mine. Even went to the Bloomington Gold Chicago show. I asked a few owners and saw some pretty rough looking side pipes on a few vettes that had them on for many years. What I found was that the painted or chrome pipes often rusted at the joints or pitted from rocks so I went with the stainless steel Hooker side pipes and headers....with STS baffles:thumbsup:...lotta cash I know but if it gets me a few more years of good looks then its fine with me...

buy the way...you'll have to modify your rocker panel to make the side pipe headers work....it's would be a small 1/2" circular notch but a mod non the less....if that matters to you at all. No mods were req'd for my '79.

·
Registered
96 Posts
:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I searched around a lot for mine. Even went to the Bloomington Gold Chicago show. I asked a few owners and saw some pretty rough looking side pipes on a few vettes that had them on for many years. What I found was that the painted or chrome pipes often rusted at the joints or pitted from rocks so I went with the stainless steel Hooker side pipes and headers....with STS baffles:thumbsup:...lotta cash I know but if it gets me a few more years of good looks then its fine with me...

buy the way...you'll have to modify your rocker panel to make the side pipe headers work....it's would be a small 1/2" circular notch but a mod non the less....if that matters to you at all. No mods were req'd for my '79.
Boy they look great on your car, I just ordered a set of the hooker side pipe headers and will make my own stainless side pipes and stainless spiral baffles. Too much shipping and duty charges here.:smack

BTW how shinny are the headers and how difficult to install?:huh:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boy they look great on your car, I just ordered a set of the hooker side pipe headers and will make my own stainless side pipes and stainless spiral baffles. Too much shipping and duty charges here.:smack

BTW how shinny are the headers and how difficult to install?:huh:
The install wasn't too bad. You'll spend more time removing your old system and adjusting where your plug wires run to avoid the heat than you will installing the headers.

I had to jack the front end between the front wheels up about 24 inches to get the header pipes to swing in from underneath.

For the side pipes, the '78 and '79 are the only years Hooker claims will fit without having to cut the rocker panels. They fit with no mods on my '79.

As far as the shine. They look just like chrome right out of the box.

The first six inches of header by the engine will turn to a nickel color the first time you drive it from the heat.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks I am looking forward to getting them installed. I plan to do a cam change and other mods at the same time.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks I am looking forward to getting them installed. I plan to do a cam change and other mods at the same time.:thumbsup:
I smell a complete rebuild coming. :laughing: Why not bite the bullet Dean and drop in a 502? :D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
They look awesome:partyon:

Are you going to put shields on it?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Very nice looking. The first C3 I ever road in was a 79 with Hooker sidepipes, which resulted in me buying my '76 a few months later.

I have the ceramic black headers and stainless pipes, STS baffles for my '76 with the new motor, headers are installed, still need to do the pipes, really the last couple things left before I start it for the first time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts