Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corvette Onwers with sidepipes.
I have a 75 with hooker sidepipes/ceramic headers. When I drive for a long period of time, stop the engine, the car will not start again until it cools down. I was told there is too much heat from the sidepipes and need to wrap the sidepipes and wrap the starter. I have recently purchased the wraps but have not installed them yet. Will this help, or do I need a different starter and still wrap everything.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Start with the wrap, and if the problem still continues, then go with a mini-starter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You have starter heat soak. I have Jet-Hot coated sidepipes as well.

I don't like exhaust wraps because they can cause the header to rot underneath the wrap.

I already had a starter heat shield on my stock starter so no heat issues with that. ABout 5 years ago, I replaced my stock starter with one of a mid-90's big block Chevy truck. It is much smaller and works great. Never an issue and my headers are not wrapped.

Now, if you want to replace the starter, here is my old info:
GM Part#9000852

Great starter, same one GM uses on the ZZ502 crate engine.

Two notes:
1) It needs special bolts with a metric shank and US threads. GM part # 12338064.
2) You can get the same starter at Autozone for $189.99 new. Just ask them for the starter for a 1998 3/4 ton Suburban with a 7.4L engine.

BTW, the GM part number for a remanufactured 9000852 is 10465167.
Now, that starter is for a 14" flexplate/flywheel with 168 tooth ring gear (staggered starter bolts). If you have a 12-3/4" flexplate flywheel with 153 tooth ring gear (straigh across starter bolts), get the starter for a C4 Corvette.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
It could be something other than heat or in combination with the heat. I'm running Jet-Hot Hookers on a 427, no wraps on either headers or starter and live in Florida. No problems. Have you checked the connections and cleaned the battery terminals? Is your battery getting and holding a 13+ volt charge? Ground OK at the frame?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
:agree: with Fred.

I've got Jet-Hot sidepipes, the original GM starter and zero problems. No wrap on anything. There's enough air space around the starter it gets some radiant heat, but nothing is close enough to cause it to be overheated.

Low voltage causes more starter problems than just about anything else. A starter is an electric motor- low voltage to an electric motor causes the current draw to go up dramatically. If your ground(s) aren't up to keeping voltage at the starter you will have problems.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
:agree: with Fred.

I've got Jet-Hot sidepipes, the original GM starter and zero problems. No wrap on anything. There's enough air space around the starter it gets some radiant heat, but nothing is close enough to cause it to be overheated.

Low voltage causes more starter problems than just about anything else. A starter is an electric motor- low voltage to an electric motor causes the current draw to go up dramatically. If your ground(s) aren't up to keeping voltage at the starter you will have problems.
:agree: also,same here Jet Hot side pipes and no problems with my stater.no wrap and no heat shield.

·
Registered
70 Posts
:agree: also,same here Jet Hot side pipes and no problems with my stater.no wrap and no heat shield.
:agree:I also agree, I installed chrome hooker headers with side pipes on my 77 about 5 years ago and still using the original starter. I have never had a starting problem.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My 69 has just plain old chrome hooker side pipes from the 80s or whenever. I have a 427 with an original starter. It never has a problem wither. I was concerned about it but doesnt seem to be a problem for me.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Corvette Onwers with sidepipes.
I have a 75 with hooker sidepipes/ceramic headers. When I drive for a long period of time, stop the engine, the car will not start again until it cools down. I was told there is too much heat from the sidepipes and need to wrap the sidepipes and wrap the starter. I have recently purchased the wraps but have not installed them yet. Will this help, or do I need a different starter and still wrap everything.
Thanks
Any resolution to the problem?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am running black painted hooker sidepipes. I was running a stock started with my auto trans and when I switched to a manual trans I went with a mini starter. Never had a hot start issue with the sidepipes. I actually thought there was more room between them and the long tubes I was running before.

I would check wire placement. Maybe you starter wires are to close to the headers causing them to get hot. That would increase the resistance in the wire and give you the hot start problem you describe.

Also as mentioned check your battery. When my last battery was starting to go bad it was more noticeable when the engine was warm.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had that same problem with my GMC truck

If you have removable terminals at the battery, take them off and check to see if you are getting a good contact. I found mine still had red and black paint on the inside of the terminals. I sanded it off and re-cut the cables for clean wire, and have had no issues since.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts