1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometimes wen i make right hand turn i get a wering noise
what other signs should I be looking for
the old owner side he had rerend rebuilt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Without hearing the noise, the first thing I'd suspect is that the diff doesn't have any posi-lube. The clutches will start to make noise on a hard turn and, in extreme cases, will even grab and make the rear end jump a little bit. You can buy a tube for a few bucks at your local parts store and add it to your diff. Drive 50 to 100 miles for it to soak into the clutches and see if it helps.
Of course, if it is a bearing noise this advice is moot. :laughing:

Good luck,
Greg

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Jack the rear of the car up from the center of the leaf spring....use wood 2x4 blocks ontop of the jack plate for extra clearance from the exhaust....

get the wheels off the ground....put the tranny in neutral and then grab the wheels at 3-9 oclock and shake alternately in and out...like you were trying to turn the wheel....if that whole assy moves more than 1/8 inch on the outer tire diameter.....you got a bad bearing...most likely...
another test is to grab at 12-6 oclock and see if you can move it in at top and out at bottom/reverse action....maybe have to get a pry bar on a 4x4 to do this from under the tire...see if your drive shafts move in/out or the lower struts are loose in the pivot/bushings.....

you seem to be a mechanical newbie, so hopefully you can understand what I say....not sure....

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
I agree that it sounds like the common clutch hammer. Look up in the sticky posts on rear ends and you'll find my posts with a lot of pictures there. Look over all of them and you'll understand what's going on back there.
You can try the old additive trick but if the car was ever pushed hard I'll bet you have some broken clutches as your 71 as those dreaded snowflakes in there unless someone replaced them.
Look for leaks at the seals, and check the yoke endplay. The 71's had good yokes that did not wear as bad as the 75-79 do. If you need any questions answered let me know.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes fng type first corvette first hot rod
when you let the clutch out there is just the smallest delay before car moves

1 - 5 of 5 Posts