Votes: 68 48.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Brown Noser
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys,

Pretty much the decision WAS made ... until this past weekend when I saw a Machine Silver and Black C6 next to each other at the Hot Rod Power Tour here in Cleveland. I was dead set of Machine Silver, but now my other favorite color Black is so much so back into contention. I think that the Black Coupe w/ Black HRE's is what put me over the edge .... but now I am not sure which way to go.

Silver vs. Black ... all else equal:

2008 Coupe
3LT
Z51
2-Tone Black/Titanium Interior
Nav
Comp Grey Wheels

I know either will be great ... and that both have their pro's and con's ... but this will be a car that I drive during the summers and will not be a garage queen ... in the winter the car will hibernate.

I know that Black is the #1 color for Coupes ... Silver #3 ... so I hope to get a lot of responses from both camps ... also I plan on doing a Widebody if that matters ...

Please help! ... :cheers:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Black vs Silver

I just red your post and I had the same decision to make. I have had 3 black Corvettes, 1999 black coupe, 2003 black Z06, and 2005 black C6.

I did not want get black again when I ordered a 2008 so I look considered the new Crystal red Tintcoat, and Machine Silver. I have gone round and round and could not make a decision and finally here is what I did.

I did not want to pay a $750.00 up charge for the Crystal Red not knowing if I would realy like it. I did like the Silver and felt that it blended well will the outside blaclk accents but felt the car did not stand out enough.

So I ended up ordering black with the Ebany Interior again, 6 speed manual trans, Nav, Glass top, Z51, duel mode exhaust, and the standard wheels.
I like the way the wheels looked on the pace car and down the road may have them chromed. Hopefully I will catch the first production date of the week of June 25th and if so have the car by mid July.

Keep in touch and let me know what you decide

Ron Schluter

·
Brown Noser
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just red your post and I had the same decision to make. I have had 3 black Corvettes, 1999 black coupe, 2003 black Z06, and 2005 black C6.

I did not want get black again when I ordered a 2008 so I look considered the new Crystal red Tintcoat, and Machine Silver. I have gone round and round and could not make a decision and finally here is what I did.

I did not want to pay a $750.00 up charge for the Crystal Red not knowing if I would realy like it. I did like the Silver and felt that it blended well will the outside blaclk accents but felt the car did not stand out enough.

So I ended up ordering black with the Ebany Interior again, 6 speed manual trans, Nav, Glass top, Z51, duel mode exhaust, and the standard wheels.
I like the way the wheels looked on the pace car and down the road may have them chromed. Hopefully I will catch the first production date of the week of June 25th and if so have the car by mid July.

Keep in touch and let me know what you decide

Ron Schluter
Thanks Ron ...

I agree that while Black is the most popular color ... there is a reason it is ... it just screams "BADA$$" ... I am kind of in the same boat as you were with the Silver ... I know it will look great, but the color just doesn't have enough contrast to make visual mod's just "POP" ... with Black ... you can Chrome the Rim and they look great ... on Silver they look good ...not great.

On the down side, Black can be a pain to maintain ... and with me driving the car 5 day's a week in the summer (by choice) ... I guess I will have to stay on top of the cleaning of it if I get Black.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Both look great optioned the way you have chosen with the wheels and interior. I was always one to lean toward black but the more Machine Silver cars I see, esp. with the competition grey wheels, I lean more for it. Silver will not look dirty two miles down the road after washing it. Either way you'll enjoy it no doubt. My money goes to the Machine Silver.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Black, for sure. Black with comp greys is totally badass. That's the combo that I'm leaning toward. Here's the export-only Victory Edition...drool!

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Black....join the dark side:cheers:
yeah, you have to clean it more than silver, but that because we get down and dirty!!! David Bowie wore silver in the "stardust" days...Darth Vader wore black!!

·
Brown Noser
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, you have to clean it more than silver, but that because we get down and dirty!!! David Bowie wore silver in the "stardust" days...Darth Vader wore black!!
Yes ... Vader ... that and the Batmobile were the reasons my friend had for me getting black ... he alway's says ... "What cool TV show car was Silver ... Batmobile & KITT (Knight Rider) were black ..."

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
:laughing: :laughing: You make some very good points that I never thought of, lol.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I vote Black only because I have black:spanked:

·
Banned
622 Posts
Thats a tuff decision. For everyday use, Silver all the way. Just used on occasions. Black. I chose silver because I drive mine quite a bit. You will also find that black accents on a silver car, pop like crome does on black. IMO :thumbsup:

·
Brown Noser
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a tuff decision. For everyday use, Silver all the way. Just used on occasions. Black. I chose silver because I drive mine quite a bit. You will also find that black accents on a silver car, pop like crome does on black. IMO :thumbsup:
I will be driving the car quite a bit also ... probably every day in the Summer which is what has me worried about black...

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Well I think I can contribute to this thread. I have a black '06 that I got June 20, 2006 (courtesy of Rick of course). It is my only car so I'm forced to drive it everyday, rain or shine. Since then I have put over 23,000 miles on the car and didn't have a garage until this month. The car was almost always dirty especially when I lived in Pensacola for 4 months and I didn't have a garage. I would wash it and the next day the car would be dirty again because of the condensation from the night before.

Now I have a garage, wash my car every weekend and it looks great. I'm so happy with my decision. I don't think there is a better looking car in town. So I voted black.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will be driving the car quite a bit also ... probably every day in the Summer which is what has me worried about black...
After having 3 black vettes in a row, silver would have been nice for a change but the car is already ordered in black. As far as maintenence on black, I use a California Feather Duster and a damp rag to clean off after every use. I even clean the inner exhaust tips. My wife thinks I am crazy and she is probably right. Every couple of weeks depending on how much I drive the car, I will spray Meguiar's Quik Detailer Mist on it and just wipe it off and shows like a diamond finish.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've owned 4 black cars, all of which were a PITA to keep clean. And I do garage my cars. If you owned black before you know what I am talking about. If that isn't a problem, then I'd with black. I voted silver

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
IMO i would do red but since thats not an option go for the black because i think it looks nice with the black out kit in the rear and some black rims with a chrome lip

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have 2 silver, 1 black and 1 red and all I can say is this. I think that black is the SHARPEST color of all but it is so time consuming to keep clean and it got to the point were I hated to drive it cause I didn't want it to get dirty. I chose Silver for my C-6 just so i could wouldn't have to wash it as much since its a little harder to see the dust and dirt. The red vette, my wife wanted that one because of the color so what else can I say..... lol Bottom line is this they are both GREAT colors for sure, but how much cleaning and detailing do you want to do? I just want to say Congrats on getting a new corvette regardless of what color you decide on!!!!!! :cheers:

Cliff

·
Mo-Fo
7,509 Posts
I'm so sick of silver cars. Enough already. GM needs to find a new color. At car shows you'll see 25 silver and two black. Silver is easier to take care of cause it doesn't show the dirt, but nothing beats a clean, shiny black car. Whether it's a Vette or not, skip the silver. How about the new red? That looks pretty cool. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Silver with Comp Grey wheels = :partyon:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I debated the exact same colors until I saw a my Black Z sitting outside next to a silver one...I was sold on the spot. I do have to say keeping it clean is tough, but the real kicker is keeping the brake dust off the rims...excellent choice going with the comp. gray wheels...that's about the only thing I would consider doing different. The one thing to think about as well, is that in all of the classic car auctions you see, the black cars are the ones that get the most attention and $...hopefully these will be considered classics someday down the road, although it will be my kids selling the cars...not me!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts