Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(CNSNews.com) – Twenty-eight months after Congress passed President Obama’s signature economic stimulus law, and nearly one year after he declared the summer of 2010 to be “Recovery Summer,” 1.9 million fewer people are employed.

In February 2009, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported that 141.7 million people were employed. By the end of May 2011 – the last month for which data are available – that number had fallen to 139.8 million, a difference of 1.9 million.

While the number of people with jobs has increased slightly from its low point during the recession – 137.9 million in December 2009 – those 1.9 million jobs have been lost despite $800 billion in stimulus spending.

This does not mean that the economy is not creating jobs, but rather that it is not creating jobs fast enough to keep up with a combination of layoffs and people entering the job market for the first time.

In a Washington Post op-ed, former White House chief economist Larry Summers noted that the percentage of the population that has a job has not improved, even though the economy is technically in recovery.

“From the first quarter of 2006 to the first quarter of 2011, the U.S. economy’s growth rate averaged less than 1 percent a year,” Summers wrote. “The fraction of the population working remains almost exactly at its recession trough, and recent reports suggest that growth is slowing.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/after-28-months-stimulus-spending-19-mil

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Vote Obama 2012! Whoo Whoo!!!!

How's that Change working out for you folks???? :laughing:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
And yet, there are still Americans, and I use the term loosely, that continue to slurp the kool aide and support this moron and his idiotic administration.
Conservatives knew and predicted 30 months ago that this man, with all his inexperience and questionable background, was trouble.
How any American can continue to support this government, it’s czars, corruption, and total disconnection with our citizens and our ideals, is pathetically incomprehension able to me!

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Far be it from me to lend aid to Obama's name, but I'll say what is rarely said in discussions of our relentless unemployment. There has been a structural change in the world job market over the last 20 years that we have failed to prepare our workforce for. We assumed that the types of jobs available in 1985 would be available in 2015. Well, they won't be and nothing will change that fact. The economic collapse of '08 ushered out our old employment model in one fell swoop. Until we admit these changes are permanent, plan for a new job market and get our workforce preparing for 2015 instead of 1985, no amount of complaining and no amount of government intervention will help. There is no easy or quick path to the solution, but we had better get about the business of implementing a plan, and Obama should be responsible for a national strategy on that front.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Far be it from me to lend aid to Obama's name, but I'll say what is rarely said in discussions of our relentless unemployment. There has been a structural change in the world job market over the last 20 years that we have failed to prepare our workforce for. We assumed that the types of jobs available in 1985 would be available in 2015. Well, they won't be and nothing will change that fact. The economic collapse of '08 ushered out our old employment model in one fell swoop. Until we admit these changes are permanent, plan for a new job market and get our workforce preparing for 2015 instead of 1985, no amount of complaining and no amount of government intervention will help. There is no easy or quick path to the solution, but we had better get about the business of implementing a plan, and Obama should be responsible for a national strategy on that front.

We have become a nation of consumers, purchasing from foreign manufacturers. I know of no economic model based on consumption that has ever worked.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not rocket science, you trade with countries who pay extremely low wages, then you have to pay extremely low wages to compete.

Failed policy is what the problem is. Tex, I know you like the "world has changed" mantra, but it would be like me signing a deal with crowley to provide dental services and not be required to carry insurance, be licensed or have a certificate of occupancy. You could not compete.. America cannot compete.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
It's not rocket science, you trade with countries who pay extremely low wages, then you have to pay extremely low wages to compete.

Failed policy is what the problem is. Tex, I know you like the "world has changed" mantra, but it would be like me signing a deal with crowley to provide dental services and not be required to carry insurance, be licensed or have a certificate of occupancy. You could not compete.. America cannot compete.
:agree:
In China an automobile assemblyline worker makes $5ph and a bowl of rice.

In America the same worker would earn somewhere between $28 ph and $71ph (benefits package included), according to the source. So if it's somewhere in the middle @$49.50 ph that would equate to $396 a day...that's 79.2 times as much...so much so, that I had to give these guys a chunk of my earned income so they could keep thier jobs...did I hear a 'thank you very much sir?" :laughing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts