Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulling into a parking spot or backing out I get a popping noise in front end, sometimes even coming to a stop it makes noise. Raised up on rack with tires on rack and checked, turned wheels can't find anything. Thoughts?????? BTW, 2011 grandsport.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As we know, the front suspension of a car has a lot of geometric angles to it, known as the Ackermann System, which has the inner wheel/tire assembly turning 'in' sharper than the outer wheel/tire assembly, the old soldiers marching in a circle routine, to make up for the difference in length of the radius that is formed by those respective wheel positions. It's formally known as 'toe-out on turns', or the 'inclusive angle' and is built into the steering arms; it is a 'non-adjustable' angle.
The wider the wheel base of a car, the more the 'difference needed' in the 'toe-out angle' between the inner and outer wheel/tire assemblies, and vice versa.
Well, our tires are so dang wide on GS, I have one too, near 11" fronts and 13" rears, they could use their own 'toe-out on turns', inner tread-to-outer tread, which is not possible being solid rubber.
On turns, what happens is the tire tread blocks 'bind up', as you turn, and then release, resulting in that popping, or squealing on a very smooth surface, noise you hear. There is nothing that can be done about it, as it is a function and result of front end geometry and very wide tires.
I get the same noise with my Suburban which as 275mm/10.8" width size tires.
Trust this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As we know, the front suspension of a car has a lot of geometric angles to it, known as the Ackermann System, which has the inner wheel/tire assembly turning 'in' sharper than the outer wheel/tire assembly, the old soldiers marching in a circle routine, to make up for the difference in length of the radius that is formed by those respective wheel positions. It's formally known as 'toe-out on turns', or the 'inclusive angle' and is built into the steering arms; it is a 'non-adjustable' angle.
The wider the track of a car, the more the 'difference needed' in the 'toe-out angle' between the inner and outer wheel/tire assemblies, and vice versa.
Well, our tires are so dang wide on GS, I have one too, near 11" fronts and 13" rears, they could use their own 'toe-out on turns', inner tread-to-outer tread, which is not possible being solid rubber.
On turns, what happens is the tire tread blocks 'bind up', as you turn, and then release, resulting in that popping, or squealing on a very smooth surface, noise you hear. There is nothing that can be done about it, as it is a function and result of front end geometry and very wide tires.
Trust this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The wider the track of a car, the more the 'difference needed' in the 'toe-out angle' between the inner and outer wheel/tire assemblies, and vice versa.
Trust this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts