Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was cleaning out the garage this past weekend and kept looking at the garbage bag on the engine stand. In the bag is a SBC 400, calling to be built, I would like to see if I can pull it off next year..

Questions concerning the build.

-What Heads?
-What Cam?

Intake will be my Miniram, I already have 3" dual exhaust and 1-3/4" primary headers.

I know my CNC L98 Stage 3 heads will choke the motor, although I think LPE built a SBC 400 in his book with the CNC heads.

the negative side to this is I would HAVE to get the 2 piece rear main flywheel($$$), but hopefully I could sell my short block, it only has ~10K miles, or sell the long block with the heads.

I found a rotating assemble, internally balanced with 6" rods so it is just a matter of Heads and cam..

·
Registered
840 Posts
I wouldn't go witgh the L98 heads if i were you. All it will do is make monster torque and not horsepower with the lack of air. I would consider AFR's 210cc and 227cc race heads. That should make you a nice combo for the street. It shouldn't be hard to make pretty good power with that nice little 400 you found. Hope all this helps. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
"I would consider AFR's 210cc and 227cc race heads."

the 210cc are a good choice, the 227cc won,t work without offset roller lifters and offset shaft rockers

read the detailed info

http://www.airflowresearch.com/227sbc_rh.php

http://www.airflowresearch.com/210sbc_rh.php

to maximize the miniram potential youll want about 11:1 CPR AND A CAM SIMILAR TO THIS, WITH THOSE 210CC HEADS

http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/cam_finder.php?part_num=00404&x=25&y=17

THAT WILL REQUIRE A MANUAL TRANS OR AUTO WITH A 3000RPM-3500RPM STALL CONVERTER AND A 3.73-4.33 REAR GEAR

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
726 Posts
So I was cleaning out the garage this past weekend and kept looking at the garbage bag on the engine stand. In the bag is a SBC 400, calling to be built, I would like to see if I can pull it off next year..

Questions concerning the build.

-What Heads?
-What Cam?

Intake will be my Miniram, I already have 3" dual exhaust and 1-3/4" primary headers.

I know my CNC L98 Stage 3 heads will choke the motor, although I think LPE built a SBC 400 in his book with the CNC heads.

the negative side to this is I would HAVE to get the 2 piece rear main flywheel($$$), but hopefully I could sell my short block, it only has ~10K miles, or sell the long block with the heads.

I found a rotating assemble, internally balanced with 6" rods so it is just a matter of Heads and cam..
Hey Jeff, email ol'RJ on the forum, he has a set of CNC AFR 210's, not the Race Ready, sitting in his garage after he bought a set of Brodix.

My Hooker 2151's did not fit the AFR 210's plug holes very well,

Me personally I would consider a set of Dart heads for @ $900 and have pay $300-$500 and have them ported

Talk to Mike Stark at www.cfmperformance.com he can provide the heads, porting and build them.

As far as the cam goes, I agree with GRUMPY's choice, and also I am convinced that the TPIS 701 for the Solid Roller or the above crower or aBullet Custom Hyd-Roller cam
($310) of 238/244 are the two cams of choice and yet, still have very good drivability, my 233/233 drives extremely nice!

I also agree that a 3.73 is the perfect gear for the MR.

The Hot Rod Power Tour is coming down to Evansville, Indiana next week, I will drive down and vist the gathering on that day only, if you go down let me know..

·
726 Posts
Also, I have a ZF-6 speed Centerforce # 700174 ,,,, 2 piece main seal, 400 crank, Billet FW used for less than 3000 miles I will make you a deal on!

Paid $425, will sell for $200 shipped

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, I have a ZF-6 speed Centerforce # 700174 ,,,, 2 piece main seal, 400 crank, Billet FW used for less than 3000 miles I will make you a deal on!

Paid $425, will sell for $200 shipped
Saw that.. I might be able to scrounge the $$ for it.. Also LD, what is Ol Rj's contact info?

What are the specs on the heads and the $$$

Yes I already have a 6spd with 4.10s.

·
726 Posts
Saw that.. I might be able to scrounge the $$ for it.. Also LD, what is Ol Rj's contact info?

What are the specs on the heads and the $$$

Yes I already have a 6spd with 4.10s.
Dude you are set wth the gears:cheers: ,,, sent you a PM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts