Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '73 convertible L-82 4-speed car. the red re-paint is falling off! I started sanding the car down today and found very small cracks in the gel coat above the front fenders... does this area need sanded down and new gel coat or can i fill in the cracks with something :huh:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
First, welcome to digitalcorvettes!

I am going to move this thread over to our Corvette Paint/Body/Detailing section, lots of pro's there who've stripped cars, and prepped bodies.:thumbsup:

If the paint is falling off with the primer attached, someone did a really lowsy prep job of the gel coat.

If the paint is falling off the primer, expect the rest of the car to do that. I would NOT sand the car down. I would get a razor blade and slice the paint off, or have the car media blasted. You can do a whole car pretty dang quick.

Here is a good thread to check out...

http://digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1328

http://digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2181

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The paint AND primer are Falling off the Gel coat
what about those little cracks above the wheel wells?
I'll try razer blades ... Its GOTTA be faster than my D/A with 180 dry sandpaper

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Originally posted by JCswm ...<br>
The paint AND primer are Falling off the Gel coat
what about those little cracks above the wheel wells?
I'll try razer blades ... Its GOTTA be faster than my D/A with 180 dry sandpaper<br>
Falling off the gel coat? Ouch. That's bad.

The razor blade works great (just make sure you buy a box of 100). Plus, there is no noise and no dust!

As for the cracks in the gel coat, do the go all the way through? Do they look like previous damage... or stress cracks?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They look like stress cracks, it doesn't look like they are very deep, they don't even catch my fingernail they are so small, I only saw them when i wetted the car down

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW !!! the razor blade is MUCH faster Thankx
What about those tiny cracks.... should I sand them down to see how far they go or can i fill them in with a good bonding material:huh:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
:agree: i thought only 1953 -1972 vette's had gel-coat's?I'm pretty sure that's just a later of primer your looking at.I'm no paint expert,but in 1973 used the first SMC (sheet molded compound),which don't need a gel-coat.fiber-glass mat,and resign are poured into a high heat,high pressure mold.they come out thick and consistant.no strand's.

1973 to 1982 also had urethane bumper cover's.they warp.If you can afford some press molded one's,:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts