Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed a 1,200 round trip from Kansas City to Ft. Worth this weekend. By the time I got back, my transparent top was krackeling and popping more than Rice Crispies! Any time there is a twist put on the frame, such as the right front wheel hitting a bump, the top will squawk. This is ridiculous! I never got any noise at all out of my C5 transparent top. I did notice the C6 Lexan is verrrry thin.

Any tips or comments?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 07 painted top snap crackles and pops like a mofo. I don't think it's limited to the transparent top.

Even after cleaning and putting silicone grease on the weatherstripping it goes away for a little while but eventually comes right back.

I've learned to just live with it and turn up the stereo.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
My 07 painted top snap crackles and pops like a mofo. I don't think it's limited to the transparent top.

Even after cleaning and putting silicone grease on the weatherstripping it goes away for a little while but eventually comes right back.

I've learned to just live with it and turn up the stereo.
or accelerate harder:devil:

·
Registered
40 Posts
My C6 is five months old and has 2,500 miles with not a sound from the transparent top.

I had to adjust the transparent top on my C5 to get it that quiet.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
My 07 coupe painted top does the same thing but i noticed that it does only when it's really hot outside and i have the AC on, even more if the car has been parked in the hot sun.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I got so used to mine that I don't even notice it until I have a passenger and they are like "what the hell is that noise".

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Mine makes so much noise almost constantly. My solution is usually to just take it off. Is this something the dealer can adjust under warranty? Or better yet is there something I can do myself?

·
Banned
972 Posts
Check the adjustment bolts on the top !

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 07 coupe painted top does the same thing but i noticed that it does only when it's really hot outside and i have the AC on, even more if the car has been parked in the hot sun.
Yeah I forgot to mention mine only does this when it's hot outside, which is all the time since I live in Texas.

But during the winter months it's usually quiet.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had an SMC roof done about 6 months ago, zero problems since.
Mine about two weeks ago, absolutely fine. The headliner crackled when I pushed up on it, as the first sign. Then the minor separtion and the noise left no doubt. But the painted delamination is different than the clear crackling, from what I've heard. Mine sounded like rubbing two styrofoam coffee cups together...pleasant sound...:nuts:

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, I'm not alone, it seems...

My '07 started with some popping in the rear area of the car after some body work on the rear end (long story). It was at about 5500 miles. I took it back several times to dealer who did the paint/body work and they can't seem to do anything with it. Like others who have posted, when its hot (yep, I'm in Houston) it pops like crazy. Not sure it's all in the roof to tell the truth. Once the AC cools things down, it goes away. Pulling out of the garage in the morning, its ok too. As a friend of mind said...."dude, it's what you get for buying a plastic car." All in all, I knew I wasn't buying a German engineered machine....oh yeah, that German piece of crap was quiet but a mechanical disaster...gimme a 'vette any day!

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
My 05 Vette made the crackling noise. I took it in for the recall about a year ago and when I got it back it was way worse. They put more glue/foam and it has been quiet ever since. Now if it just stays put at highway speeds, I'll be satisfied!:buhbye:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts