Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... and it wasn't pretty either. :down:

I went all NASCAR and taped it up so that I could drive in home.

This is why I couldn't pursue the guilty party.

Here's what happened. It was 0-dark thirty at night and I was rolling at around 80 through the mountains of Chattanooga, TN. I was coming down a bridge when this semi threw a retread. I had a concrete barrier on my left and right and was going to fast to swerve so I grabbed the steering wheel with both hands just in time for the impact. The car shimmied and I immediately pulled over. I knew it was bad, I just wasn't really wanting to see how bad.

I got out of the car and looked at it and just stood there in disbelief. Semi was long gone and there I was in a little shock.

The insurance company wanted to put the car back to stock and raise my rates but I wasn't going to have any of that. So I told them to go screw themselves and I went shopping for a new provider. In the mean time, I'm fixing the car myself and this thread will chronicle the experience.

I have already started ordering the parts I need thus far. A new Tiger Shark fascia from Starcraft (by way of J.W. Motoring), a new fender and a new wheel housing. That was over $2000 for those three parts alone.

We're just getting started. :thud:

More updates in post 79.

More updates in post 93.

More updates in post 105.

More updates in post 137.

More updates in post 145.

Last and final update in post 163.

:cheers:

The Junklman

·
Registered
846 Posts
Glad you're OK, man. Sucks about the car.

Look forward to reading about the repairs. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
who did you used to have for insurance?

sucks to happen, glad you're ok

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
State Farm. I've had them since the 80's. I guess it's time to find someone a little more appreciative. It's a shame how they try an nickle and dime your ass to death.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
that is really odd....i have had them for years as well and have never had an issue with them replacing something "not stock". You might want to call their higher office because i am pretty sure their standard policy (might be a lil diff state to state) that they cover aftermarket stuff under x thousand dollars automatically....will hafta dig my policy out to make sure.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is really odd....i have had them for years as well and have never had an issue with them replacing something "not stock". You might want to call their higher office because i am pretty sure their standard policy (might be a lil diff state to state) that they cover aftermarket stuff under x thousand dollars automatically....will hafta dig my policy out to make sure.
They said that aftermarket stuff has to be declared when the policy is written. When the policy was written, my car was stock. And why would they raise my rates? It wasn't my fault! :huh:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
hate to say it, but them not wanting to replace the non stock stuff is on you....afterall you didnt keep your policy updated....

i thought road hazard damage was covered under comp, not coll and therefor always affects rates?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Those retread truckers caps do tremendous damage to peoples cars every year

They also have caused more than a few accident on American highways

They should have been Outlawed long ago

Because they have a high failure rate. and become a serious road hazard when they do fail

As far as insurance company's go

I have sued many of them and plan to keep sueing them

in the future

I've never lost in court against an insurance company

A.J just inform their Adjuster that you will see him in Mediation

And then watch his tune change But quick !

I would inform them of this, as well as "The Fact" that they have Breeched your contract with them :nuts:

Remember Insurance company's are Criminal's doing business under the guise of an Ethical Corporations

They break the Law so much that most of their representive's believe they are doing business legally

That is till they see my face Again in a court of Law !

The last insurance Co. I had a problem with caved in early and just sent me a very large check in the mail :laughing:

Because they knew I had been to court many times before and decided it would be much less hassle to just pay me off :laughing:

And you know what A.J they were right

Because I would have Beat their Asses clear around the block and back again just like I did last time we met face to face

Also good luck on the repair's

Your car should be better than new by the time all the new parts go back on :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Well this certainly BLOWS! :WTF

At worst , I am surprised they would not pay to return it to stock and let you pay the difference to the body shop for after market parts?

Not that it means anything, but I have been with Farmers for probably 30 years. I have had 3 claims on the C5 - 2 windshield replacements and then there was my dump truck gravel incident a few years ago that did about $4,000 cosmetic damage (including a 3rd windshield and a new targa top). They actually insisted on paying me more than what I was asking for , because the adjuster said he had never seen a 2001 kept in that condition?

I also (now) have a $10,000 rider on my policy to cover aftermarket parts. $10,000 is their limit, but at least that covers my VE interior, Corsas, wheels, etc. It only raised my annual rate about $85. My main fear was that without this rider they could declare my car totaled even for cosmetic damage - this may make them reconsider as it could cost them an additional $10,000 above book to total it.

Farmers also covered the hail damage on my roof last year and paid quite a bit more than I expected again (about $11.000 for a whole new roof for minor damage). Of course, Farmers is still way ahead vs my premiums, but I have not had any problems with them yet. However, my C5 is at the age where they may think twice.

One thing I learned from my "gravel" experience... if the truck threw a tread and it hit your car before it bounced off the pavement, they may consider that "collision". They told me that since the gravel that came off the dump truck that passed me hit the ground FIRST and then bounced up to damage my car that it was "comp" and my rates would not be affected (and they weren't). They said if the gravel had come directly off the truck and pelted me that would have been considered "collision"?

Hope you got it back up an running soon... doesn't look to major, just expensive!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hate to say it, but them not wanting to replace the non stock stuff is on you....afterall you didnt keep your policy updated....

i thought road hazard damage was covered under comp, not coll and therefor always affects rates?
You are probably right but you know how it works. Somebody can say, "Hey, you've been with us all these years, let's hook a brutha' up." Then poof, you got a check in your hand.

Well this certainly BLOWS! :WTF

At worst , I am surprised they would not pay to return it to stock and let you pay the difference to the body shop for after market parts?
And that's the thing. They were trying to make it all difficult while I was using your kind of common sense. Then, finding a body shop with experience in fixing this kind of damage on a Corvette was next to impossible (or so it seemed). When I felt my attitude start to go north, I stopped and walked away. I don't need the headache and I trust the fact that I will fix it right.

So that's what I am going to do.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Run away from state farm my wife & daughter got t boned by an 85 year old man running a red light & it has been one big hassel after another. My truck was in excellent shape before the accident now its a POS I was offered 10`000 trade in on a new truck then the mechanic test drove it & the price went down to 2`000. This is the short version I could write a book on this STATE FARM:down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down:

·
Registered
240 Posts
AJ...so sorry to see your baby hurt! I am sure that this will result in another fabulous DIY...and didn't you just say in another thread that you were looking to get some more prep and paint experience? :D

·
Registered
905 Posts
Kinda the same thing happend to me in my 77 a little while back with a retread. Crusing along the interstate minding my own business with a pickup on either side of me and one in front. All of a suden, I see the one in front of me pass over a piece of tire right in the middle of the lane. No where to go but over it. Mind you, I have about 3" clearance under this thing. I heard this awful screeching of metal scraping on the highway and had to keep going till I could get over to the shoulder. (4 lanes in my direction). Lucky for me, all it did was rip my ram-air intake scoop out from under the front and crack my valance a little. I work for a company that has 20 Peterbuilt tractors and huge oilfield trailers, and we won't run a retread anywhere on out trucks or trailers. They're an accident waiting to happen!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Remember Insurance company's are Criminal's doing business under the guise of an Ethical Corporations
No doubt...second only to the government!

Reading about this makes me wish I were a lawyer. I have personally benefited greatly from AJ's posts and videos (many if not most of us have). Hell, just yesterday, I had a clay bar in one hand, and a laptop playing one of his videos in the other.

If I were a lawyer, I would absolutely get on State Farm's **** for you, and pro bono!

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
The biggest reason that there are all those recaps laying in the road is because the driver never checks his tires air pressure. when retreads get too low or go flat, the cap does have a tendancy to come off. If you drive with a flat tire long enough, it will come apart no matter what kind of tire it is.

Oh and bonnie, you are the biggest conspiricy nut i know of. around every corner is a criminal mastermind trying to destroy the world.

Hate to say it, but for AJ to win he would need a sympathetic judge- because according to his policy the car WAS stock, and that was how it was insured. Stop trying to come off as this big crusader who is going to take down all the "criminal" corporations all by yourself. Nobody believes it.

Aj, got nothing but love for ya :cheers:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thats bad news about the vette. Wrong place at the wrong time. Very unfortunate , Good news you are OK:cheers:
Keep us updated with your progress
PB

·
Supporting Vendor
210 Posts
Sorry to see that.

Check USAA out since you're prior military.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
one of the problems i ran into when i was looking for insurance, was that usaa wont write policies that are usefull to those with modified cars....and who among us does that not apply to lol

1 - 20 of 193 Posts