Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to start somewhere, so off comes the rear bumper.

This is definitely one of those "right of passages" for C4 owners. Not terribly difficult, just a real pain getting to most of the small bolts. Throughout the week I'll be trying to remove a few body pieces since media blasting starts Saturday. Once we're down to a clean surface, the cutting and fiberglassin' starts.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loooks goood, I mean for a car being taken apart.
:laughing:

Yea you'll enjoy taking yours off. It wasn't that bad, but there's definitely a lot of figuring out between bolts. Most of them you wrench on without ever seeing, and I managed to snap off half of the upper inside bolts. A sawzall would have been a better option but only because you can't get a hammer in there. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
:laughing:

Yea you'll enjoy taking yours off. It wasn't that bad, but there's definitely a lot of figuring out between bolts. Most of them you wrench on without ever seeing, and I managed to snap off half of the upper inside bolts. A sawzall would have been a better option but only because you can't get a hammer in there. LOL
From the photos, I can't see how you even get your hands to half those bolts. I'm surprised there are so many...

Keep us up to date!

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't see how you even get your hands to half those bolts.
You couldn't be more right! Some I got to some through the gas filler area, others through the tail light opening and a few from the bottom. Most you could just barely reach to loosen.

Basically, my forearms look like I got in a fight with a bobcat on pms.

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Once we're down to a clean surface, the cutting and fiberglassin' starts.
Esplain please!

Looking good though, she's going to be like new when you wrap this project up.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just to let you know if you pull the plastic inner fender well splash linners out make life a lot easyer for the bumbers and tail lights.

But you do have to remove the reaer wheels to get the fenders out but it worth it after the linnwers are out you can put the wheels back on.

I f you end up removing the molding that runs the down the middle of the car it a pain Heads up ( Most of my bolts and nuts that hold it on where rusted soild).

Have to start somewhere, so off comes the rear bumper.

This is definitely one of those "right of passages" for C4 owners. Not terribly difficult, just a real pain getting to most of the small bolts. Throughout the week I'll be trying to remove a few body pieces since media blasting starts Saturday. Once we're down to a clean surface, the cutting and fiberglassin' starts.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
So whats the plan Dan

I mean what are you modding ?

Are you flarring the rear wheel wells ?

Or What

Thanks , Bon

·
Registered
126 Posts
If it ends up looking like that..you might have used the wrong primer..:D
I have repaired a ton of vettes from the ground up..but all older than "78. So I will follow this with interest. :partyon:
Gary

I found a picture of what Dan's car will look like when complete:

:D

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I have a few ideas of what he's up to, but I'm sworn to secrecy...

Let's just say the look will match the built up engine.

:partyon:

1 - 20 of 107 Posts