Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new intake and carb is on and well:laughing: the hood is just shy of closing:rolleyes: well actually the airhorn on the carb its self now holds the hood up a few inches and from what I can see the top of the carb will just poke thru any opening if I cut one so Im going to cut the hood and add a shotgun scoop and linkage:partyon:

All that said what is the best way to cut my hood with minimal paint damage, im thinking tape it off draw the line and use a cut off wheel for the straight lines and maybe cut all for corners of my hole out using a drill and a hole saw

does this seem like a good aproach or is there a better way any input is welcome , I have cut metal hoods before put never fiberglass

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I've had some experience using a Roto-Zip Spiral Saw, but that beast would probably be crazy overkill, too easy to make a mistake, however, my new Dremel 4000 came with a spiral saw bit and a circle cutting attachment, and would be perfect for delicate work like cutting a hole in a hood!

$79 on Amazon.com :thumbsup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heres a couple pics for anyone interested, the intake is an ACC RPM cyclone (operating band 1500-6500) its about 2 inches taller in deck height then a performer

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my hood fits now:thumbsup:

Combination of jigsaw with a down stroke blade and a 1 1/4" hole saw for the corner radius, once my scoop arrives I will make the hole bigger to accomodate it

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
det cord....that is all....

·
Registered
118 Posts
You could install one of these:

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={c9fb8d14-1f85-4565-94cb-6e3e8e3fdbff}&gid={db5e9d55-79ef-4b62-bd2f-c82162fd41e2}&GroupName=Hi-Rise+Hood&pname=77-82+%2280+Style+Hi-Rise+Hood+(Hand+Laid)&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&

Looks like the stock hood but is 1,5" taller.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you planning to do anything more with the fuel lines? Having that many hose clamps would make me nervous. One loose connection and a spark can make a real mess of your new hood scoop -- and more.
:thumbsup: Yep just got my gooddie box from summit racing today will be adding a proper holley fuel rail with gauge, screw on filter and line kit later tonight, just put it together that way until then good stuff came in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts