Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just wondering if anyone has any information about soft ttops. Where can you get them? How hard are they to install? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm guessing you mean the carbrella ....or the raincoat those are the only 2 types ive seen ..

The Carbrella is basically a cover its NOT to be driven with at all completly soft is held on with velcro and some suction cups on the edges to stick to your door windows where it hangs over them a few inches ...striclty for poping on while your out without your tops and you're worried about bird assaults or rain when you park. someone could take it off and walk away with it in seconds.
these run around $120-140

The rain coat can be driven with it on it is not completely soft it has contoured inserts over the door wondows that maintain the curve and flow of the body above the doors and has a pin on the back like your T-top and a screw that drops into the pin hole where the t-top front pin normally goes ..has a large fastener that screws up quickly onto the bolt to give it the "latched" effect ..has velcro in front and back and 2 straps that loop around your middle T frame to help hold it down and has some weather stripping for the door window to match up to. these are not coming off unless someone gets the door open ..so its offers some theft deterant ..as much as a convertable top I guess.
Price is around $320-350 on these.

If your like me if im in my car the tops are OFF ..if the weathers not nice enough for that ..im probably not driving it lol but sometimes its a chance of rain or im gonna be inside the store long enough I dont wanna leave the car open to the
elements weather or criminal :down:

I had every intention on getting a carbrella i didnt want to spend the extra money on the other but i got real lucky just a week ago and scored a used Raincoat for $70 on ebay and im in love. I had researched them both alot but not been able to find one to look at and feel of ..but knowing what I know now if you like the tops off but need something to put on many times mid trip the Raincoat rocks ..it looks nice ..its not very noisy ..louder than normal tops but much better than no tops ..theres no flapping or such when going down the road with mine and folds up into a bag only about 10 inches x 29 inches maybe 4 inches thick

I cant speak on the carbrella experience only what ive found in pictures and posts but the raincoat was very nice for me if mine came up missing tommorow I would drop 350 on a new one over the 130 for a carbrella ..but i drive my car to work alot of times ..early morning top on and top off coming home that sort of thing ALOT.

Hope this helps but like all things im sure others have had better/ worse experiences with these ..but thats my 2 cents:thumbsup:

OH and i wanna add its possible theres different brands out there of these things and that could cause the quality/description to vary alot ..mine is actually called a "raincoat" by Mike Wilson INC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow!! Very helpful. Sounds like the raincoats are the way to go. I like to drive with the tops off whenever possible but just want something quick, light, and easy when I need to leave the car for a bit. Sounds like the raincoats would be just the ticket. I'm gonna go online and see if I can find anything. Thanks for the informative response, it was very helpful.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
FWIW: save your money. It takes about as long to install the factory t-tops as it does the raincoats once you've gotten where you're going.

:thumbsup:
True but with the way the 2nd poster was talking you can leave your bulky tops at home and that raincoat folds up pretty nicely. Probably easier to store too.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
I had the raincoats for a while and when my T-Tops were stolen, I had the raincoats on for about a month while I found another set of tops. Back then the Vette was my daily driver. Only time when the raincoats felt like they were going to blow off was when I was on the freeway driving around 70-80 mph. They held on however. They really don't do a good job keeping the rain out while driving, but it is better than having an open top in the rain. Water would go under the coats at the windshield. There is no weather strip there to keep the water out.

I would recommend them as an alternate when driving without the tops just in case you get caught in the rain. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
True but with the way the 2nd poster was talking you can leave your bulky tops at home and that raincoat folds up pretty nicely. Probably easier to store too.
I agree, but you already own the factory t-tops and they don't cost you anything additional. Why spend bucks for a second pair of tops when the originals would be fine?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I agree, but you already own the factory t-tops and they don't cost you anything additional. Why spend bucks for a second pair of tops when the originals would be fine?

Because the original are heavy and cumbersome.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
For $70 on Ebay, the raincoat was a steal.:surprised

I have the Carbrella for my 05 and I really don't use it hardly at all. Now if I could drive with it like the raincoat, I'd be able to use it way more.

I'm going to have to get the raincoat for my 69, sounds like it would come in handy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Or if you had one with the luggage rack on the back you could get the t top holders and keep them back there, just make sure you top off your gas tank before you leave.

·
Registered
101 Posts
FWIW: save your money. It takes about as long to install the factory t-tops as it does the raincoats once you've gotten where you're going.

you right about the time it takes i can could install the originals just as fast ..

but for me
1. I have a speaker box in the back ..I can still get the originals in but...its a tight fit and even with covers I worry about getting them banged up or tearing my sun cover. cause I take them off ALOT.
2 Im 6 foot 3 ..the raincoat offers a little more head room alot like glass tops would...
3 I use an on off switch on my battery for added fire/theft peace of mind which is a pain to get too with tops laying the back on my battery box door.
4 It offers one more unique look option to the vette

those are my personal reasons for going this route

..if I had a older vette with the rack on the back for tops I may have had a very different outlook on the soft top options .
,but mines a bubble back and even if I could find t-top rack for mine I dont think id like the holes you have to put in the car to install them =(

its all about how big a pain you consider the bulky tops to be . to me they were a bit of a pain for some of the reasons listed and rain coats are a nice option. :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts