Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running solid motor mounts on their SBC? if soooo where did you get them, or do you also have the part#. I have been looking like at Jegs and they have them, but im not sure which one i need, there are diff part#'s & styles.
any help would be great.
Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Looking at the catalog, they go by application as much as anything. Are you going to replace the stands too? Someone else may jump in, but it looks like by replacing everything, it'll make the engine a stressed member of the frame. And that's not all bad. Lots of GM frames tend to sag making alignment a fun trick. VB&P has a spreader bar that goes between the upper A-Arms. Seems to prove the sag theory. Stiffen the front suspension.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was not planning on it,just wanted to get rid of the rubber and replace it with steel.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
You might take a look at the poly mounts too.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
try Moroso.com..they list by application and size.
.....redvetracr
I'm running morosso solid mounts also. I don't know the part number because I just asked the speed shop for a set of solid big block mounts.
I like the solid mounts. I ran rubber, then poly and then solid and like the solid the best of all.
Like already posted they become a spress member. It supports the steering box area and that area really flexes alot.
I also find the motor seems to blip crisper. Give it a rev and it seems to respond quicker. That might be just the seat of my pants feeling the twist quicker:laughing:
I am a fan of solid mounts

·
Banned
622 Posts
I had solid mounts on my camaro, Didn't like them at all. The 2 peace polly mounts are mutch better IMO.They still have a little give to them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Come on guys i know you must have seen the melling oil pump post. Most of those pumps that were cracking were on race cars running solid motor mounts

I guess it isn"t in this forum i did an advance search and didn"t see anything about it. You can find info about in just about any automotive forum on the net.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Come on guys i know you must have seen the melling oil pump post. Most of those pumps that were cracking were on race cars running solid motor mounts
Alot of "race cars" run solid mounts. They also have "Edelbrock" stickers on them. Maybe it was the stickers.:laughing:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hay big2bird a lot of forum"s have that info as a sticky, but i haven"t seen the first sticky about sticker"s yet!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the input, Moroso are the ones im looking at,i will try their web-site or give them a call for application.
What is this about solid mts are hard on oil pumps :crazy: i have ran solid mts in plenty of other cars never had a problem with an oil pump before. and if it was true why are most if not all race cars using them.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
thanks for the input, Moroso are the ones im looking at,i will try their web-site or give them a call for application.
What is this about solid mts are hard on oil pumps :crazy: i have ran solid mts in plenty of other cars never had a problem with an oil pump before. and if it was true why are most if not all race cars using them.
They are now using fewer stickers.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
I'm running morosso solid mounts also. I don't know the part number because I just asked the speed shop for a set of solid big block mounts.
I like the solid mounts. I ran rubber, then poly and then solid and like the solid the best of all.
Like already posted they become a spress member. It supports the steering box area and that area really flexes alot.
I also find the motor seems to blip crisper. Give it a rev and it seems to respond quicker. That might be just the seat of my pants feeling the twist quicker:laughing:
I am a fan of solid mounts
They are NOT all the same, they vary in thickness and hole offset (in relation to the mounting face)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

I just recently compared the castings of the M55 and M55HV pumps at the local AdvancedAuto store... the HV is about twice as thick as the standard M55 pump. Melling changed the casting - I've read on the net that the two used to have the same thickness pump housing...

There were several reports about cracked pumps, all of them were the newer thinner M55 pumps...

I guess the M55 is fine for stock engines and rubber mounts, it seems to be a bigger problem if you add vibration from solid mounts....

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
I use poly on street cars. Rubber are ok but don't last as long. I don't think I'd use a solid mount for a street car but that's your call.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I just recently compared the castings of the M55 and M55HV pumps at the local AdvancedAuto store... the HV is about twice as thick as the standard M55 pump. Melling changed the casting - I've read on the net that the two used to have the same thickness pump housing...

There were several reports about cracked pumps, all of them were the newer thinner M55 pumps...

I guess the M55 is fine for stock engines and rubber mounts, it seems to be a bigger problem if you add vibration from solid mounts....
If an oil pump snaps/breaks, it's a POS. End of story.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts