Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Carlisle is coming up and I was wondering if a solid colored top would help keep the heat down inside my car? I currently have the amber transparent top and was thinking od buy one of those static cling liners to help with the heat. Also is a solid top less likely to flex than my clear one? I'm thinking I could probably pick up a used top for around $300. :cheers:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
I prefer the solid top over the transparent top. I've been in some C4's with the transparent top, and I felt like I was roasting!

I don't think one is structurally stronger than the other.

But, if both were dropped from 10 feet, the solid top would win.:laughing:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had a GS. I'd definately have to have the solid top. I'll look around at the car show. My buddy owns a body shop, and would probably paint it for materials. BTW I like this site, it has a very friendly aire about it, that seems to be missing in some of the other forums. I hope it stays that way even as more members are added.

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
HTRK-1 said:
If I had a GS. I'd definately have to have the solid top. I'll look around at the car show. My buddy owns a body shop, and would probably paint it for materials. BTW I like this site, it has a very friendly aire about it, that seems to be missing in some of the other forums. I hope it stays that way even as more members are added.
Glad you like the site! Yes, we are a friendly bunch... I think it's because we have comfy couches and lots of alcohol in the Bad Shark Blues Lounge! :laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have the transparent top and the static cling is a must. I broke my old top and when I picked up my new top with out the static cling there was an obvious difference.
I've also heard some guys that auto cross say the soild top is more ridged.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I like the transparent top on my dads but it does have its down sides. When we took the vette down to Roswell NM and the sun was beating down on that green house you could really feal it. The top also has little cracks in it that you can only see when u look at a wierd angle. IMO i would go with transparent just cause it looks cool from the inside.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have a new (2months old) transpar.top ,which i think is the most.I looked around for a solid top allso just to change the look,and found one on ebay,its still there,and all you would have to do is get it painted.As for the heat,well i could grow things in my vette,that top acts like a greenhouse.I have a good a/c unit.I like the top off at around 70 degs.At 80 -90 I roast with the top off at red lights.Go with what you think is best,anyway it all looks good.:buhbye: :stick: oh and welcome to the crew.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
I have both tops.. I got the Blue Transarent one witht he car and used that until I repainted the car, It has been siitng in the basement and I tend to forget I have it. the Transparent top is nice at times and is lighter in weight

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I've been toying with getting a transparent top for the 95. Isn't there a silver coating that reflects the sunlight off? I seem to remember it acted like a two way mirror. I saw that somewhere....wish I made note of it at the time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. I think I might try one of those static cling liners first and put the other money towards a set of ZR1 style wheels.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i hated my transparent top so much i switched with my friends colored roof. of course i had to paint it to match my car. Its much cooler in the summer and i think the more blue the better. I think the car looks way better with a matching roof.
:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts