Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from what a wise 95 owner told me, my year came with a stock 2.59 rear gears ratio(TERRIBLE!) i always wondered why my brothers l98 was quick off the line compared to mine(his is 3.07) so anyways to the point of this thread:D , i was thinkin of gettin my gears re done at maybe 3.55 but gas is a HUGE issure with me cuz its my daily driver..soo(maybe a stupid question) can u get your gears changed to about 3.30?:huh: i want it to be quick, but maybe 3.55 is going to change my fuel economy on freeway in a HUGE detrimental way(detrimental to me is like 2-3 MPG less)
im a poor corvette owner, rare as that is, i saved up 2 yrs for my baby.:partyon:
so what are the gears i can change to AND how much gas wuld i lose if i change to 3.07, or 3.55 or anything in between. thanks guys!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
3.07s or 3.33s are a good compromise for an auto, IMO. I put 3.45s behind my ZF6, but that has a .5:1 overdrive.

But don't you have a Dana36 rear? That will limit your options.

How fast do you like to drive on the highway?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont know a wholee bunch on my axle, but i did a tiny bit of research and i believe its a d36...isnt every auto a d36?
but can i change to 3.23? is that an option?
highway...well at least 100, if i want to, thats not an average speed just in case some mustang queer thinks hes badass cuz he has the 488438903587489789 mustang out there ya know:laughing:

·
Registered
376 Posts
i dont know a wholee bunch on my axle, but i did a tiny bit of research and i believe its a d36...isnt every auto a d36?
highway...well at least 100, if i want to, thats not an average speed just in case some mustang queer thinks hes badass cuz he has the 488438903587489789 mustang out there ya know:laughing:
All automatics are D36. Your easiest swap would be to the 3.07 gears as these are readily available and can be instaled in your current rear. I don't know if the lower ratios (higher numbers) can be installed in a D36 or if you'll need a D44 (which can get pricey). You might also check with a local speed shop and ask if they can install some custom gears or recommend someone who can (although this might be expensive as well).

As for your brother's L98 being quicker off the line there are three possible reasons:
his 3.07 gears vs your 2.59
the L98 has a lot of low end torque and is slightly quicker than the LT1 for the first few seconds
he's a better driver.:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
i call BS because you cant go 100 in concord!! :rolling:

i didnt know there were that many mustangs out there but it seems like a fairly accurate number. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would go for the 3.07 for the reasons stated above. I went from the 2.69 to 3.07 and it was the best $ I've spent. I found a rearend complete with batwing for $500. Lower gears would be nice if it the price is not prohibitive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i call BS because you cant go 100 in concord!! :rolling:

i didnt know there were that many mustangs out there but it seems like a fairly accurate number. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

oh you can if u know the right area my man

and for the mustangs pshhhh EVERYONE has one! those and newer cameros cough **** cough
ppl who drive mustangs and newer cameros think they dope **** and better than all so a chip gets made on your sholder

anyways, ok so a 3.07 should be a lot better? i was thinkin that cuz that shouldnt kill gas a whole lot, and then i wotn have to worry about freeway:thumbsup:

so you guys think a 3.23 isnt the way to go?
but i dont want to replace the axle wiyth a d44 was it and everything is going to be done at corvette express(great place)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I swapped out the 2.59s to the 3.07s in March and was very happy with the improvement in the seat of the pants meter.
:agree: Knocked about a 1/10 off my 1/4 mile time and went from 2.0XX 60's to 1.9XX 60's. :thumbsup:

evan17, If you find 3:23 gears for a Dana 36 please let me know were you get them from. I've been looking for a set because with my stock L98 they should be just about right for 1/4 mile drag strip purposes. With 3:54 gears I'll run out of my power band before a 1/4 mile is up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
from what a wise 95 owner told me, my year came with a stock 2.59 rear gears ratio(TERRIBLE!) i always wondered why my brothers l98 was quick off the line compared to mine(his is 3.07) so anyways to the point of this thread:D , i was thinkin of gettin my gears re done at maybe 3.55 but gas is a HUGE issure with me cuz its my daily driver..soo(maybe a stupid question) can u get your gears changed to about 3.30?:huh: i want it to be quick, but maybe 3.55 is going to change my fuel economy on freeway in a HUGE detrimental way(detrimental to me is like 2-3 MPG less)
im a poor corvette owner, rare as that is, i saved up 2 yrs for my baby.:partyon:
so what are the gears i can change to AND how much gas wuld i lose if i change to 3.07, or 3.55 or anything in between. thanks guys!:thumbsup:
It sounds like you don't actually know what ratio you have. You could have 2.59 or 3.07 from the factory.

When I was thinking about gears, I came to the same conclusion - around 3.2-3.3 seems right with the A4.

I shopped around for a used 3.07 rear for a while, then a GP for 3.54 came along on the CF, and I joined in. That was about 2.5 years ago. It's fun off the line but overall I don't like it. Very busy at speed. I'm always waiting for it to upshift when it's in 4th...

I generally won't drive it on the interstate any more - if we take it on a trip we take the back roads with lower speed limits. So when I need to get somewhere fast, I take one of my slower cars. :(

Mileage difference is probably around 5 mpg. If you want to see what your mileage will be with 3.54s, just drive around in 3rd.

There were 3.3x gears in some early D36 and I think I've seen 3.3x aftermarket gears. I'd either go that route or get a used 3.07 diff.

Another solution, which I will contemplate when the 4L60E dies one day, is a 6L80E and the 2.59 gears. Similar 1st gear overall as I have now with the 3.54 and same top gear as I had with the 2.59. That is not a budget-friendly option, however...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Your easiest swap would be to the 3.07 gears as these are readily available and can be instaled in your current rear.
There are no 3.07 gear sets which are made to fit the 2 series carrier. Therefore you have to swap the carrier, and if you're doing that then it's simpler and cheaper to simply swap in a used 3.07 pumpkin.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys
ive heard a lot of possitive feedback on the 3.07, when i get the $$$, i think im going to go in that direction:thumbsup:
thank you:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
anyone knows what kind of MPG i would lose if i went from a 2.59 rear gear ratio to a 3.07?
my car is goin to be my daily driver so this is a big issue, and since gas is at a F*&%^ing rediculous price i need to be concered on that issue.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hey Evan, like I mentioned to you, simply look in the compartment(behind the passenger seat)...the little white decal has your build codes on it.....like I said, For 95's with Automatics It's most likely a 2.59 but you should really check to make sure(takes all of 2 minutes buddy:D )......just PM me your codes and I'll tell ya everything your car was equipped with from the factory.........also, you are NOT limited "AT ALL" as far as gear ratio choices with your current Dana 36......you can pop in "pretty much" anything all the way up to 3.73's........But no matter what you currently have, if your gonna go Thu the high expense of a gear swap ($800-1000 "PLUS" dollars to have it done correctly), "AT LEAST" go with 3.45's to 3.54's.....this will still be VERY mild as far as the reduction in gas mileage....you may actually notice ZERO reduction in mileage around town(IE:stop and go driving)..and a couple less MPH on open highway trips......the most common gear swap for "daily driven" Automatic LT1 Vette's is the 3.73's, but if your interested in "maximum" gas mileage and still good performance, the 3.45's or 3.54's will be better for you............PS: Don't "ever" spend all that money on a gear swap and switch to 3.07's:laughing: :D(total waste for the cash spent) ....also, stay away from Richmond Brand Gears....there noisy as hell in 90% of all Dana 36/Dana 44 rearends "even" when their setup right (it's just the gear cut and material that their made of).......by far, the best gears for your Dana 36 is made by www.precisiongear.com .http://www.precisiongear.com/dana36.htm .....they are quiet like the factory gears and they're MUCH MUCH stronger as well....................Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Evan, like I mentioned to you, simply look in the compartment(behind the passenger seat)...the little white decal has your build codes on it.....like I said, For 95's with Automatics It's most likely a 2.59 but you should really check to make sure(takes all of 2 minutes buddy:D )......just PM me your codes and I'll tell ya everything your car was equipped with from the factory.........also, you are NOT limited "AT ALL" as far as gear ratio choices with your current Dana 36......you can pop in "pretty much" anything all the way up to 3.73's........But no matter what you currently have, if your gonna go Thu the high expense of a gear swap ($800-1000 "PLUS" dollars to have it done correctly), "AT LEAST" go with 3.45's to 3.54's.....this will still be VERY mild as far as the reduction in gas mileage....you may actually notice ZERO reduction in mileage around town(IE:stop and go driving)..and a couple less MPH on open highway trips......the most common gear swap for "daily driven" Automatic LT1 Vette's is the 3.73's, but if your interested in "maximum" gas mileage and still good performance, the 3.45's or 3.54's will be better for you............PS: Don't "ever" spend all that money on a gear swap and switch to 3.07's:laughing: :D(total waste for the cash spent) ....also, stay away from Richmond Brand Gears....there noisy as hell in 90% of all Dana 36/Dana 44 rearends "even" when their setup right (it's just the gear cut and material that their made of).......by far, the best gears for your Dana 36 is made by www.precisiongear.com .http://www.precisiongear.com/dana36.htm .....they are quiet like the factory gears and they're MUCH MUCH stronger as well....................Joe:thumbsup:

i will the thing is, my car is at my dads which i go over there like once every week or two cuz he has a hella nice house with a huge driveway so i keep my car there, at the moment im living with my mom so i cant go see my car as easily as u think, but when i do, i will let you know my man. long story, just cut down so its easy on your eyes:D but i will find out cuz im way curious to know.
but the gas mileage thing is a HUGE issue and my dad, brother and step dad say EVERYTIME i mention changin my gears to make lower, that i will lose gas mileage and i shouldnt do it. even if i tell them what u said, they will be like "well how you gonna believe a guy over the internet" (no offense to you my man). is there any way i can prove to them that my mileage wont change in town, kinda obvious it will on freeway.
how much would i lose on freeway?(how many MPG)
oh and i know changing ur gears to that low, wouldnt that make my top speed decrease? like me goin 100 wuld be KILLING me on gas and on the engine or car itself?
all your advice is much appreciate joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Richmond shows a 3.54 and 3.75 for the Dana 36 C4 vette.

http://richmondgear.com/07Apdfs/page7.pdf

Another gear website basically lists the standard gear sets as "thick gears" for 2.87 and down carrier (I presume this is the 2 series people speak of?)

And lists "thin gears" for 3.07 and up carriers (this is the 3-series carrier?)

Then Richmond has a special 3.75 (thick gear) for 2.87 and down carriers, for more money of course. I'm sure there's more gear ratios than that with thick gears that'll adapt to the 2-series carrier, if I'm using the terms correctly.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i will the thing is, my car is at my dads which i go over there like once every week or two cuz he has a hella nice house with a huge driveway so i keep my car there, at the moment im living with my mom so i cant go see my car as easily as u think, but when i do, i will let you know my man. long story, just cut down so its easy on your eyes:D but i will find out cuz im way curious to know.
but the gas mileage thing is a HUGE issue and my dad, brother and step dad say EVERYTIME i mention changin my gears to make lower, that i will lose gas mileage and i shouldnt do it. even if i tell them what u said, they will be like "well how you gonna believe a guy over the internet" (no offense to you my man). is there any way i can prove to them that my mileage wont change in town, kinda obvious it will on freeway.
how much would i lose on freeway?(how many MPG)
oh and i know changing ur gears to that low, wouldnt that make my top speed decrease? like me goin 100 wuld be KILLING me on gas and on the engine or car itself?
all your advice is much appreciate joe:thumbsup:
Not sure what to tell ya about "convincing" your Dad and Brother about advice you get over the net here on this site, aside from explaining to them(in a nice way:D ) that if they had any of the answers or personal experience with your type "and" year car, that you wouldn't have to be asking your "MANY" questions here;) ..... that's kinda why forums like Digital Corvette's are popular in the first place....it's a "great" outlet for people to get (and give) "accurate" info about their "EXACT" cars that they have... and in many of the cases, the people answering have already done the EXACT same mods that they're wanting to do to their cars (IMO, there's really NO better way to get advice than from people that have already been down the same road your wanting to go) ....So, I wouldn't really consider it random internet car advice, ya know........besides, the stuff your talking about here is about as simple and common place as can be in the car world......people have been doing these EXACT mods to your EXACT year car since the day they came out of the factory well over a decade ago....many guys also order their cars from the factory with "lower" gear ratio's........And as I mentioned.. with 3.45 - 3.54 gears, people with automatic LT1 Vettes usually loose "on average" just a couple MPG on the highway......and in many cases "Nothing at all" in their regular around town driving......when you put lower gears in a car it accelerates "much" more effortlessly.........also, the gear change from what you have currently ("IF" it's the horrible 2.59) to a gear ratio in the 3 1/2 range is a fairly mild change(RPM wise)....were talking about a 400-500 RPM difference when cruising at 60-65 MPH........also, you car will VERY likely pick up some top end speed as well with a 3.45 - 3.54 gearing...this happens because a stock LT1 Vette (especially with the 2.59 gears) will almost never be able to fully Red-line in overdrive for MANY different reasons....the little bit deeper gearing can help this ...................Joe:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts