Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just saw on the news here that some engineers at WVU created a coal mine "safe room" that can support miners for three days with adequate food and water. its fireproof and airtight. hopefully there wont be any more disasters.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,365 Posts
Excellent!!!!!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Lets hope the companies will spend the $$ to implement the mods necessary to employ it?

Miner's have a tough assed job!:cheers:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
duneripperxx said:
linky available?
How do they get the safe room to where the miners are trapped?
Is it inflatable?
Honest question.
It would probably be put in place as they are working the mine.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
I was assuming mine cave ins could occur at random locations in a mine, and not just between the surface and the miners.
These things irk me since the mine operators frequently claim bankrutcy to prevent being sued, and close up shop and restart as a new company according to wv locals that I have met during vacationing.

Found some stuff....

American coal miners' tragedy (7+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, RunawayRose, Plutonium Page, joynow, joanneleon, Quotefiend, skywriter
a new AP story posted today (sorry no link) about a letter written by the only survivor to the families of the dead. he talks about the failure of safety equipment in the mine. Read down to the last line:

The Bush administration is reviewing air packs and other safety equipment used in the nation's mines after previously scrapping similar initiatives started by the Clinton administration.

by Hardrookwar on Thu Apr 27, 2006 at 10:19:34 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

There was a mining accident in Canada (6+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, Plan9, joynow, Quotefiend, Brooke In Seattle, skywriter
shortly afterwards. The miners were saved because of a safe room with oxygen, food, and water, where they could wait for their rescue. Of course the question arises as soon as one hears that, why not safe rooms in every mine?

Kennedy comments on Sask. mine accident
Last Updated Feb 8 2006 04:37 PM CST
CBC News
The recent rescue of 72 Saskatchewan miners from a fire in a potash mine is attracting some serious attention in Washington, D.C.

One of the U.S. capital's best-known politicians, Democratic Senator Ted Kennedy, is comparing the Esterhazy mine rescue with the recent fatal mine disasters in West Virginia – and he's saying the comparison doesn't make the U.S. look good.[...]
CBC

and...
better stuff....

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/jan2006/cana-j31.shtml

Ouch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts