Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still had to figure out how to mount the top of the rad, didn't want to just bolt it against the "spreader bar" and it needed to go a little forward so the water outlet would clear the upper control arm.

So, this is what I came up with, still have to weld those 2 aluminium pieces to the rad.

..plus, it was a nice little project to use my new tig rig on. I've had a hobart ac/dc tig rig for quite some time but it doesn't have a remote control so welding aluminium is a pita as it quickly gets out of hand. With the new water cooled system w/ remote control and a whole bunch of fancy controls it's so much easier to weld aluminium, I would have never thought inverters would give you such an edge.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because it will rattle and damage the rad finish and it'll look like crap not welded on.

I'm gonna make some holes in them and flare those and then weld them on the rad.

The rad sits on u shaped pieces with foam on them so there is some cushioning

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stock? what a dirty word LOL Hell no, I have a complete custom front frame extention, no stock anything. The rad is bigger than the whole stock rad frame anyway. Yeah, to properly weld aluminium you're looking at at least 2500$ or so for a decent inverter w/ foot or thumb control, add a water cooler and what not and you're near the 4000$ easily. Good tools cost a lot of money. Here's what the front end looks like:

I will remove the thinner bar, that way I can remove the "spreader bar" and pull the engine out the front.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
those goodridge/jegs/summit hose ends are not 30$ ;) ... or... wait, are you actually using the expensive stuff? Does that make you faster? :laughing: :rolling:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
100% Aeroquip, I would NEVER use Jegs/Summit or Russell hose or hose ends , even if I got them for free.....and that cheap used stuff on ebay is there for a reason....watch a NASCAR race on TV and you will figure it out.

...redvetracr

PS: you all know the "paper route" crack was directed to the kid right?? I thought TT was a milk man. :devil:
I only use aeroquip and xrp also, those other ones are junk IMO with the russels being reasonable and the goodridge/summit/jegs being junk.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
There's a dozen of test pieces that I scrapped when I started out welding alu with my old hobart, I did some test pieces when I started out using the new machine but it works so much easier I just had some pieces to test the different settings like balance, frequency etc.

Now, and this one is for turtle to chuckle over, I had 1 of my air boxes (to go on the carbs) completely welded, did a pretty good job on it and when I wanted to weld the inlet tube on it I ran out of argon 1/2 inch before it was completely welded, I didn't notice untill there was a big old gaping hole in it, was so pissed off I threw it in the corner so it's all messed up now. I'm gonna make a tad different ones now

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I always turn off the gas also, can't trust those gas valves, they leak. Learned that w/ my old machine, forgot to do it, came back 3 days later, bottle was empty :( This time the bottle simply ran out also. Usually you can see it's almost empty because the weld will start to deteriorate and develop black spots. When I was welding the box it simple went out like an off switch :( I may have been able to salvage the piece w/ some welding and grinding but I killed it when I threw it in the corner LOL

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
What you consider "trash", you could sell on e-bay. "Special TT Collectors edition.

"For sale, brand new clusterfucked carburetor airbox, will only fit special manifold with dellortos or webers, bent because it got thrown around the garage, may be salvegeable" yeah, a real sale magnet!! :rolling:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Now, if i had said that he'd get pissy and go in the corner and pout.
How do you know I didn't just do that very same thing? :rolling:

I'm already over the loss of the prev. airbox. Already started on my new ones.

BTW, the compressor housing will be rotated, the pipe pointing down WILL clear the compressor. After I'm done I will sand it completely smooth.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Yeah, his car is nice, I really liked the rad frame and tank. I'm a sucker for custom fabbed stuff. I hate chrome LOL

Mine looks like a whole car again...well I sort of cheated. The front clip is just laying on there. need to fabricate a whole new hinge since I modified the front frame for the intercoolers and other misc. stuff there.

Even the L88 buckets still fit. I test fitted it, it just clears LOL maybe even the stockers will fit, didn't check that.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The box will have a 5mm backing plate and the carbs will haeva 1cm thick plate, together that makes a 1,5 cm plate that will have a radius to the choke size much like stack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.