Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about finished with the intake track, got the L88 scoop installed, finished with the base plate and the hood seal, and installed the Amsoil filter. The base plate is wood for insulation purposes right now, I have been thinking of making it out of aluminum but haven't pulled the trigger on it.

Here is a pic:

Neal :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I am just about finished with the intake track, got the L88 scoop installed, finished with the base plate and the hood seal, and installed the Amsoil filter. The base plate is wood for insulation purposes right now, I have been thinking of making it out of aluminum but haven't pulled the trigger on it.

Here is a pic:

Sweet, been wanting to add something like that,want it to seal to the hood but run it all the way to front of the car over the top of rad where the original cold air intake mounted. But i want to make it out of alluminum which is no big deal,and moulding it is not that big of a challenge,it's welding the corners up that is the problem.

Kevin

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet!!!

Any concerns about using wood?
not really, allot of carb spacers are wood, plus it is allot easier to trim and make fit, its a good pattern for the aluminum one if I decide to go that rout.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Wood is way better as an insulator than aluminum is too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
What if you laid some fiberglass mat over the wood,then you would have a smooth surface to paint on plus have the wood in there as an insulator too,that might be way cool and would probably look better than aluminum also :thumbsup: what do you think?

Kevin

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Know any electricians? We use stuff called "red board." It is a melamine resin, fiberglass reinforced board in varying thickness that is heat, chemical,voltage resistant. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What if you laid some fiberglass mat over the wood,then you would have a smooth surface to paint on plus have the wood in there as an insulator too,that might be way cool and would probably look better than aluminum also :thumbsup: what do you think?

Kevin
Good idea, may have to ry it.

Know any electricians? We use stuff called "red board." It is a melamine resin, fiberglass reinforced board in varying thickness that is heat, chemical,voltage resistant
Got a good freind thats an electrician, I'll have to give him a call and ask questions about this red board.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts