Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm new to Corvettes and need a little help from those in the know.

About a month ago, my check engine light came on. I found out how to view the codes on the dic, but it ran through a bunch of numbers ending on one, I don't remember what it was. Anyway, took the car to my local dealer who said, and again I apologize for not remembering everything as I should, that something needed replaced under the intake manifold. They didn't have the part and had to order it. 2 days later, the check engine light went off. This was a month ago.

All this time, the car has been running great, good mileage, no problems at all. Then today, the check engine light came back on. I've got an appointment to take her back to the dealer for them to finally replace the part, but in the meantime, I wanted to run the codes again to see what it was for my own education and information.

Now for the problem. I have no idea what number or code I need. Is the last code to come up the one that's showing the problem? How do I know which code is indicating the problem? Bascially, how does one know what to look for when doing this?

Help me to learn!!! :laughing: I need some knowledge. And in advance, THANKS!

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Okay, I'm new to Corvettes and need a little help from those in the know.

About a month ago, my check engine light came on. I found out how to view the codes on the dic, but it ran through a bunch of numbers ending on one, I don't remember what it was. Anyway, took the car to my local dealer who said, and again I apologize for not remembering everything as I should, that something needed replaced under the intake manifold. They didn't have the part and had to order it. 2 days later, the check engine light went off. This was a month ago.

All this time, the car has been running great, good mileage, no problems at all. Then today, the check engine light came back on. I've got an appointment to take her back to the dealer for them to finally replace the part, but in the meantime, I wanted to run the codes again to see what it was for my own education and information.

Now for the problem. I have no idea what number or code I need. Is the last code to come up the one that's showing the problem? How do I know which code is indicating the problem? Bascially, how does one know what to look for when doing this?

Help me to learn!!! :laughing: I need some knowledge. And in advance, THANKS!
Just post all the codes, we'll figure it out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just post all the codes, we'll figure it out.:thumbsup:
I was going to do that last time Patrick, but there were so many numbers coming up so quickly that I wasn't able to catch them all. :laughing: I'll try again and see if I can catch them all.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, here's all the codes, I believe. Checked a few times to make sure I caught them all correctly (if I can read my own handwriting).

PCM - P0492H
IPC - B0516H
B0521H
U1160H
HVAC - B0367H
LDCM - U1064H
RDCM - U1064H
RFA - U1016H

I thought "H" meant a history code? All codes had an "H" at the end. There were no "C" codes, which I thought meant Current. Yet the check engine light is still light up.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is your gas cap tight? If you dont turn it till it clicks it will set off the engine light.
Yes, always make sure of this. Wife has a CRV that we used to always get a check engine light until we found out why, gas cap. So we always make sure to turn until clicks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The PCM Code shows an air pump fault. Have you had a tune done on the car? I know after my tune I had some weird codes until I cleared them out. Have you tried to clear the codes and see which one will set again?

Here is a pretty decent site to help with the PCM codes:
www.gearchatter.com

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The PCM Code shows an air pump fault. Have you had a tune done on the car? I know after my tune I had some weird codes until I cleared them out. Have you tried to clear the codes and see which one will set again?

Here is a pretty decent site to help with the PCM codes:
www.gearchatter.com
No tune done on the car. Will see if I can clear the codes. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, reset all codes, went for a drive, stopped, restarted, drove some more, came back home, rechecked codes, none.

But, should resetting the codes make the check engine light go out? I don't see how resetting the codes would have affected the light. If there was a problem, it should still be there. But it did go off when I started up after resetting the codes.

Wasn't planning on driving her today, but will to see if any codes return this evening. Thing is, I don't know whether to take her to the dealer and let them do whatever they were going to do or not now. If anything, this appears to be an intermittent issue, the most fun to diagnose. :laughing:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm thinking some of those "U" codes get thrown if the battery gets disconnected or when its replaced. If it was an "H" code and doesn't repeat then it's not a problem. Some may just be glitched communication codes.

The 492 may be dirty check valves.I may be wrong it might be 1416 but there is a lot of info on methods for the do-it-yourself-er to clean these versus replace them.

Search DC archives or go to "Corvette Forum" or "Z06" forum and do some searching for like problems. By now there aren't many that haven't been seen before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
By resetting the codes it clears anything that is setting the MIL. It is always best to see if there is a current code and go from there. I was throwing some codes after the Headers and no tune but all is well now.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

Okay! This has been a great learning experience! I'm going to show my ignorance now in that in my first questions, I was basically trying to find out how to read the codes as the scrolled by. :rolling: I wasn't aware that after they ran, you can manually scroll threw all the codes, then hit another button to see the actual code. I have now learned that and am rather pleased with myself for this small accomplishment.

After driving her today, about 30 to 40 in town miles, the check engine light has not returned yet. Upon returning home, did a check and only has one code, PCM 0492 C. That one seems to be reocurring. Now, what is a PCM 0492 code indicate?

Thanks to everyone for helping me with this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts