Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I found this diagram I find it interesting but all the data I've seen before I saw this diagram and which I trust considerably more than this diagram tends to point to slightly higher average temperatures being ideal.
I have repeatedly said that your oil temp should keep above 215° to allow moisture to burnout of the oil and that your coolant temp should stay in the 180-220 range
SMOKEY YUNICK, in several places in several books, refers to extensive dyno testing he did for General Motors, where they consistently found, that both engine wear and hp production benefited when the oil temp stayed above 215° but below 240°, and the coolant temperature stayed between 180 and 220, degrees, or as SMOKEY said, trying keep your oil hot, but your coolant, about 20 to 30° lower in temperature but the coolant should never be below 180°, and should not exceed 220°, while temperature should never below the below 215°, and 235 to 240 is about ideal, mineral base oils tend to start breaking down over 240°, synthetic oils can easily handle temperatures up in the 270 degree range in for extended periods, but they performed best in their lubrication in cleaning function went down in the 240 range

·
Registered
111 Posts
HHHHMMMMM, thanks for the info..

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
I know for a fact that the Blue (HP) is dead on correct!

I can feel a very noticeable power drop when my oil and water temps go beyond 180. The power drops when oil is at 180 but when they both go to 180, it SUCKS!!

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
if the power falls off noticably when you reach 180 degrees of coolent temp, your fuel/ air/ mix is noticably to lean or your timing curve needs work, in almost every case!!

ideal emmission readings are at about 14.7:1 but ideal power is at about 12.7:1

your stock ECU is designed for and programed with passing emmission testing as far more important goals than peak or even mid range power. your engine is capable of producing much better hp if the engine is correctly tuned

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
that's all good info,and there's so many theory's on heat,all i know from my experience is,anytime i make a 1/4 mile run with the temps over 200*,my time is slower.at 220* were talking a 1/2 second slower.thats with 96 octane gas in the tank.
there's just to much detonation anything over 200*,then the computer adjusts the timing and turns the run to crap.turn the fans on manual,make a run at 185*,feels like a different car.and is a 1/2 second faster.iv'e done this a zillion times to make sure it was no fluke.i also have zero carbon build-up.
one other thing,my oil temp stays in the 200*-215*,no matter what my water temp is.i use a scanner on my car alot,and everything is dialed in just fine...
so in my mind,more heat=more detonation=lose of power and motor if you keep on detonating.....not trying to argue here,just what iv'e experience,my buddy's 91 has the same exact characteristics and results as mine.....:huh:
my buddy has my books right now,but if i remember correctly,the OBD 2 computer at WOT is a 12:7 to 1 air/fuel ratio...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Excellent info Grumpy......it is very interesting indeed. Many folks seem to be of the opinion that cooler is better all the time and that is not always the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts