Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my 2002 c5 but i do have a complaint,,,,i hate the road noise. It seems to generate from the rear more so than the front. I know im not alone on this. Has anybody here ever used any sound deadning materals to stop this? If so....what kind and where was it placed in the car?:(

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I am planning to pull the carpets out of mine this winter and lay down some insulation. I had read an article over a year ago at CF about a guy that did it. He used some thin double foil faced stuff, about 3/8" thick tha comes in a roll. He also did the tunnel up by the gas pedal area to beat down the heat. Just behind the seats and in front of the fender wells he stuffed regular pink insulation in.
I currently keep the storage wells filled with towels and I keep a moving blanket or 2 spread across the floor in the trunk (vert) When I had my 98 coupe I kept the wells filled and had a heavy black throw rug cut to fit in the rear, it helped alot.

How close are you to Belen? I have a lot out there for retirement :)laughing: if I can shag the cows off)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did some research over on the Car Audio forums and asked a few of their "experts", since I am not one. What I got was a deadener like Second Skin or a liquid like Quiet Car put on about 3mm thick will work equally well and is okay for a coupe. Don't use an asphalt based deadener for inside your cabin, it will smell. I intend to do mine this winter. Also remember to remove the inner fender on the driver side and stuff some insulation in the void around the fuel tank filler. You can see right into the cabin from there. :surprised

·
Registered
288 Posts
stilcrazee said:
I had read an article over a year ago at CF about a guy that did it. He used some thin double foil faced stuff, about 3/8" thick tha comes in a roll. He also did the tunnel up by the gas pedal area to beat down the heat. Just behind the seats and in front of the fender wells he stuffed regular pink insulation in.
Not to hype that other forum, but check this out
Noise reduction

He has some good ideas

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just a word of caution. I started with that article, bought the stuff he used and installed it and am less than impressed with the results. The install tips and pictures are great but the material is not made for sound deadening. It was cheap enough, but now I'll be deinstalling it and doing it again with stuff engineered for the application. :thumbsup:

What's your time worth?

Carmen

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
johnbmech said:
I added DynaMat to the entire inside of my 2k & it made little difference.
Changing the stock tires will make a big difference.
Welcome to Digital Corvettes!

Thanks for the info, need to put a few more miles on my tires before I can say good bye.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts