Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Does anyone still make the correct rear yoke for my '76 (Th350) C3? My transmission was just overhauled and the tailshaft bushing was pretty beat up, so I'm wanting to replace the yoke.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
check with Bairs they used to sell reconditioned slip yokes. I don't know if they still do.

If you have an electric motor shop near you then see if they spray weld motor shafts, if so they can do your yoke over.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Even if there's not an electric motor shop in Peoria, with CAT having their main plant there, I'll bet there's someplace that either can plasma spray or hard chrome, then turn it back to size.

·
Registered
959 Posts
you mean like this one? it`s available if you or anyone else is interested, and yes it takes straps & bolts....send a PM.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked it tonight with a good micrometer and it measured 1.5023 +/- .0001 along its entire length, and the only thing wrong with it I can see is two extremely light pitting lines where the seal runs (can't feel them with my thumbnail) and one in the bearing area (also can't feel with thumbnail). I don't see any reason why it can't be used as-is. The splines appear perfectly straight and slide smoothly on the transmission output shaft.

Does anyone know what the tolerances for these things are/should be?

I'm seriously considering giving it a quick polish with 600 grit tape and re-using it.

What do you guys think? :thumbsup:? :down:?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had to buy a new yoke for the same reason only 2 weeks ago, bought a h/d one from hardy spicer, but the shoulder is larger and meant having to get the driveshaft shortened 15mm and balanced.

The yoke was about $100 and the driveshaft shortening and balancing was $150.

$250 peace of mind and no vibration.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I checked it tonight with a good micrometer and it measured 1.5023 +/- .0001 along its entire length, and the only thing wrong with it I can see is two extremely light pitting lines where the seal runs (can't feel them with my thumbnail) and one in the bearing area (also can't feel with thumbnail). I don't see any reason why it can't be used as-is. The splines appear perfectly straight and slide smoothly on the transmission output shaft.

Does anyone know what the tolerances for these things are/should be?

I'm seriously considering giving it a quick polish with 600 grit tape and re-using it.

What do you guys think? :thumbsup:? :down:?

I see nothing wrong with using that yoke, Doug.

Goes without saying, use a new rear seal on the transmission and clean up the straps. Otherwise, use it.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
If you can't catch a fingernail in the lines, there's not a thing wrong with that yoke. I wouldn't even take time to try and polish it.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
If I had that one,all I would do is polish it in the lathe with some 240 and then scotchbrite. I've seen them with ridges in them that need attention, yours looks pretty good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts