Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, so i had a quick question, gonna start setting up the ignition for my car and am to the point for the spark plug wires. I have a set of summit racing headers, and some basic champion spark plugs. My question was, Should i buy some heat shields for my spark plugs? its about 17 bucks a pair and 52 bucks for a set of 8. I was just wondering if i should buy only one pair and use the shields for the plugs that are closest to the headers, (cylinders 4 & 5 i believe) or should i just buy a set of shorty spark plugs? (30 bucks at autozone) what would you guys do? do you think the heat from the headers will affect all the spark plug wires or just the ones closest to the pipes? just let me know your opinion. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
How far from stock is the engine?

Typically a spark plug wire will survive for a very long time when it's distance from the primary is .5" or more. I've never used shields and have kept good distance from the wires to the headers. It's one of the main factors when routing my wires.

If the wires are .25" or touching the shields are necessary.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll need a couple of those for my 2&4 plugs, the leads run very close to the pipes and I was trying to figure out a way around it.

Unfortunately it seems something has gone tits up in their server that takes the orders. Sent them a couple of emails to let em know but no response so far. :huh:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm not suggesting you use these but I came across them some time ago and they would a solution for some people.

http://wrenchrat.com/sparkarm/

I've got two sets of these at home. I thought they would fix my burning wire problem, which they did. Only thing was, if you start the car and look at the engine bay in a dark garage, it looks like a laser light show. They were arcing so bad from the swivel joints they left marks on my headers.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Art, it's a shame they have issues because they would be brilliant if they didn't have arcing problems.

Liam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.