Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you install the speakers in a 86 corvette. Ive never installed speakers with one that had amps on them. Also, what speakers sound and fit the best. I need new door and rear compartment speakers cause they just dont put out enough. My jl audio 10" w7 puts out too much bass for the highs to be heard.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
There are so many threads on C4 stereos here I don't know which one would would help you the most. If you don't get an answer here, PM me and I will keep bringing it to the top until we do:cheers:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Oh man where to start... How far do you want to go on the install?
I have Alpine 6.5" in the doors and 6 x 9's in the rear. I have a 10" sub in a bazooka tube but am putting it in the rear storage compartment. There are mods that need to be done to do the door speakers the rears are drop in. You need to kill the Bose amps(if you have them)
What HU are you using?
Check out these threads. Ask questions as they come up, We'll get you through this:thumbsup:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54527
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35347&highlight=system
And anything else in the audio section by -=Jeff=-

I'll leave this thread here untill you see it then it will be in the audio section when you need it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im lookin to change the doors and rear compartments. My cd player is a pioneer I forgot the numbers. How do you fix the amps from the old speakers and can you just clip them out and wire the speakers straight in? What mods need to be done on the panels to get the ones in the door to fit?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking in the pioneer and infinity range. But,id like to keep all pioneer to match my HU. And keep them under 100 dollars each set. Give me some links as to what you think or can find please.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
You can do that for under $100 per set. Now the doors are a bit tricky. Your best bet is to eleminate the Bose amps and such all together. Then if you are going to use the factory covers go read that first link I gave you. Sheild did a great job outllining what is nessary to do that. IF you want to use your aftermarket covers then you need to either buy new door carpet or change it in some way due to the fact the carpet is cut square like the cover.
If you want to go that way report back it's a whole new ballgame.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes, there are lots of threads about aftermarket stereos. There is a treasure trove of information in the forum if you do a search. I finally bought a 1.5 din Pioneer P77DH head unit, best purchase I ever made. I never thought there was a difference among head units, but this thing is light years ahead of anything else in its class, the sound is infinitely adjustable and ten times better than any of the crap you see on ebay.

My amp is the Alpine MRPF250, which fits perfectly into the passenger storage bin, and it's 2-ohm stable so I have six speakers: Infiniti 4"X6" in the dash and Infinity 6.5" in the doors (I modified the Bose speaker boxes to hold them), and Infiniti 6"X9" in the back. My system sounds really good now, there's not a tremendous amount of bass since I don't have a subwoofer, but it still sounds ten times better than the stock stereo.

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
I used these two websites to purchase everything for my system. They are very cheap and have a big selection to choose from. For the head unit I went with the Pioneer DEH-P6800MP, the doors I got 6.5" Alpine SPS-17C2, and in the rear I got 6X9" Alpine SPS-69C3. I will post pics when I recieve everything and find time to install it:thumbsup:

http://www.hookedontronics.com/

http://www.etronics.com/

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
vettefever88 said:
Nice site redmen... Here's the one's ive decided to go with. I can't beat the price on them.

For the doors...
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=20594

For the rear...
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=20594

This pair should make my system look good with the jl w7 sub and kole amp and capacitor.

For about $16 more you could go with these pioneer 6X9 speakers so that way you can use the pioneer grills and it will fit around the carpet. If you go with the round speakers in the rear then youll have to use to stock grills or replace your rear carpet. JMO

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=20596

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea for the rear im gonna go with the 6x9's you said. Im glad you caught that or I would have ordered slightly the wrong ones tonight. :thumbsup:

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
raidmagic said:
The grills that came with my Alpine's will NOT cover the carpet in the rear. If that is your plan do a bit of homework to be sure.:thumbsup:
I already recieved my 6X9's and I just mocked it up in the rear and they seemed to fit fine regarding the carpet. Maybe because it's a different Alpine model?:huh:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered my speakers last night I cant wait till they come in. I cant wait till I hear them too. Im sure they will sound good. I got all 4 of the speakers for 130.00 with shipping saved 100.00 off retail.

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
raidmagic said:
Well you suck! Send me your grills.:laughing:
:laughing:

I ordered my speakers last night I cant wait till they come in. I cant wait till I hear them too. Im sure they will sound good. I got all 4 of the speakers for 130.00 with shipping saved 100.00 off retail.
Yeah that site has some severly discounted items, i'm definelty going to buy from them for now on.

·
The Punisher
7,092 Posts
vettefever88 said:
Some advice before you beat your head off the walls on the door speaker install. Take an old metal coat hanger and straighten it. Take the new speaker wire (I recommend using new wire) and tape it to the end of the hanger. Going from kick panel hole inside the passenger compartment, gently work the hanger through the rubber boot, bending the hanger where neccessary until you get it through.

You'll need patience for this but you'll be much more satisfied with the end result in clarity and sound by doing this.

Also for the door speaker install you're gonna have to fab some plates like I did to mount them. I don't remember the maximum depth on the door speakers so I hope the ones you ordered aren't too deep for the window to clear. If you need any suggestions or advice on during the install just let us know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you get behind the speakers and the amp. Do you just cut the wires and splice in the new speaker wires. How exactly are the wires done behind the factory speakers?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts