Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the largest speakers that will fit in the doors still using the stock covers? It is time to replace these speakers and I want to do it right. What is the best way to remove the bose speaker box?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is has been a while since I have worked on a C4 but if memory serves me correctly it is a little bit of a pain to get the factory Bose enclosure out. Just take your time and it won't be too bad. Once it is out you can make a baffle that will hold a 6.5 and tweet . You can use a 5.25 and tweet also or coax speakers. Once the factory is out there is plenty of room as I can remember.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
http://www.corvettejunction.com/frontamp.html

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereo...vetteFspk89.htm

Those sites should help with removal of the old enclosure. I would reccommend running a separate mid and tweet. I ran 6.5" coaxials in mine with a custom baffle and I couldn't get them aimed just right, so the sound was really low. I am moving those to the back and custom making new grilles (my old back ones have had abuse from golf clubs in the past. I bought the car off a golfer who hauled 2 sets of clubs with it.) I am now going to try 5.25" separates angled correctly on a new baffle, with 6.5" coaxials in the back and a 12" sub flush mounted into the storage compartment on the passenger side.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Anyone try to do something with the grills on the dash?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have done a few things with them. What are you looking to do? I have made new ones...recovered the factory ones....fiberglass grills that llok cool....stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I was going to do something with the dash, but there isn't a lot of room in there to do much anything. A standard 4x6 speaker wont fit quite right. I was thinking of adding a pair of tweeters up there to raise the image a bit, but there is a risk of messing up the staging. I may try it to see how it sounds. When I took the grilles out I re-dyed them black. When I got the car they were a yellowish blue color. Not pretty. 4x6 plate speakers I figure would work up there because of the woofer offset to the side of the plate from the tweeter. I may still go with a plate speaker up there. Corvettes are not usually a quiet car inside, so as much sound as high up as posssible is a good thing.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking for speaker ideas. I was thinking about the 4 x 6 now I'm wondering if it's worth doing anything up there.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I was thinking of 4x6 in the dash at one time. Depending on the deal I can cook next time I go to the stereo shop, I may still do it. I am going to run something in the back for sure. My first option is 5.25" seperates in the doors run off a 50x2 amp and 6.5" coaxials in the rear run off deck power. My next idea was 4x6 in the dash and 6x9's in the rear all run off deck power. A sub of some sort in the passenger compartment either way. Dash speakers always sound good in my opinion. The factory grilles reflect sound off the windshield just perfect.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got my subs taken care of and I am replacing my rear 6 x 9's soon so I just need to straighten out by fronts and hopefully be happy.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
What products does your system consist of so far raidmagic? Any specific brand of 6x9's or 10" subs your a fan of? What did you use to power everything? I have a couple Alpine amps, a beefy JL 12" sub, a pair of top end JL 6.5 coaxials and an upper end Alpine head unit, but I figure all that stuff likely weighs my car down quite a bit. I was thinking of moving it to my big cruising car and buying some different highs/mids, a 10" sub and keep the sub amp and the head unit. Just wondered what you've had good experience with. I usually use JL or Alpine, but I am open to suggestion. Which factory locations are you planning on using?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Raid........did you get my PM? If not I was offerning any help you might need. I have been in car audio business for 15 years and do full custom installs. I currently have a C5 that I am getting a little silly with the system and the motor. My friend owns Anti Venom over by you so I am over that way often. Let me know if you need any help.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eat Rice I did not get your PM your help would be appreciated.
Here is the list of goodies I have:
Alpine CDA 7893 head unit
Rockford Fosgate dual 4 ome 2212 12" subs
Rockford Fosgate G1602a amp
JBL 150 amp

ON my short list is Alpine 6 x 9's to replace current Pioneer 6 x 9's
Some sort (brand undetermined) of new door speakers and dash speakers.

I have considered going to 10" subs for the room aspect the weight doesn't concern me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts