Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new member here. I've been looking here for some time and now could use some help. What speakers are available for a stock am/fm for a 69? It's a bb vert with side pipes, so I'm not expecting much, but would like to get the best that would work with what I've got. It looks like 4"x6" will fit in the kick panels. What about ohm ratings? 4,8,10 ohm? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
607 Posts
welcome Beagle, I'd near bet my life on them being 4 ohm......most automotive gear is!

try checking out some of our supporting vendors:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi there!

I don't know squat about speakers...but someone will come along!

Got any pics of your 69BB?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there!

I don't know squat about speakers...but someone will come along!

Got any pics of your 69BB?
No pictures. I just bearly got these here new fangled computers figured out. Maybe the 60's are catching up with me. Will have to work on the picture posting.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
No pictures. I just bearly got these here new fangled computers figured out. Maybe the 60's are catching up with me. Will have to work on the picture posting.:thumbsup:
You looking for a custom install setup? Or...something that looks original? What type of stereo/amps? BTW...what colors your BB?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
607 Posts
by the sound of it he's sticking with the stock am/fm radio......unfortunate i know!:D

Beagle 1, maybe when you get a handle on the new fangled computers....you can knock yourself out and try and figure out the cd player concept:thumbsup:

:cheers: Liam

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
when i got my car the ft and rr speakers were rotted out,got the dimensions of the speakers went to best buy found the 4 i needed on sale payed about $70.00 bucks for all 4 insatalled them with no trouble and the radio sounds damn good,can actually here it over the motor and with the t-tops off, im still using the original am/fm 8 track radio. now if i could only find someone that could fix the 8 track for me so i can listen to those tapes that ive had for 30 years now :smack

Kevin

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hi guys, new member here. I've been looking here for some time and now could use some help. What speakers are available for a stock am/fm for a 69? It's a bb vert with side pipes, so I'm not expecting much, but would like to get the best that would work with what I've got. It looks like 4"x6" will fit in the kick panels. What about ohm ratings? 4,8,10 ohm? Thanks in advance.
Alpine makes a nice set of 4x6 speakers in 4 ohm. Good upper midrange tone and cut to get over those side pipes. Not to expensive.

Your not gonna get a decent low end out of your stock radio unless your willing to do some MAJOR changes and mods to your interior. C3s kick ass in every department except the stereo....what a pile o crap!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You looking for a custom install setup? Or...something that looks original? What type of stereo/amps? BTW...what colors your BB?:thumbsup:
Color is PPC cherry red with white soft top, black leather seats. Simular to 50 yr aniversary red. Origional radio, speakers to go back in kick panels.
The big question is, as I understand it, is that the origional speakers were 10 ohm rated, and most modern speakers are 4 ohm. So, will the 4 ohm ones work ok with the origional radio? Or are 10 ohm available? Or can a resistor be wired into the circuit? Or am I worrying about minor sh*t that doesn't matter?
The voices can't agree. Will someone answer that phone!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
by the sound of it he's sticking with the stock am/fm radio......unfortunate i know!:D

Beagle 1, maybe when you get a handle on the new fangled computers....you can knock yourself out and try and figure out the cd player concept:thumbsup:

:cheers: Liam
Well I've knocked myself out a few times and all that happens is my brain hurts.:laughing:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Stock mono radios and stereos for this era require 10 ohm speakers. You can get away w/ 8 ohm speakers which used to be available at radio shack but even radio shack has dropped them. Modern auto audio has long gone the 4ohm route and 4 ohm speakers will work the older amp electronics way too much and cut it's life short.

Unfortunately the only option is speakers from GM or one of many corvette mail order outfits that carry the GM speakers. It's been a few years but last I checked GM offered a standard and a 'premium' version of the 4x6 in 10 ohms. Go for the premium - I think you get a slightly larger magnet and possibly a better surround material. Here's a 'possible' part# 16034662. PM if you like and I'll put you in touch w/ the source I ordered mine from.

·
Registered
607 Posts
thats amazing....it's first time i've heard of 10 ohm speakers.......dam yanks..:laughing: funny thing is the link i posted to the ecklers speakers listed them as a direct replacement!

i only drive my vette probably once a week and have only ever turned the radio on twice in the 3 years i've4 owned it!

twin pipes is all the stereo i need...... and thats coming from someone that had two 15"s in the trunk 10 years ago..........sorry what did you say:laughing:

·
Registered
607 Posts
on a second thought, could he add a small amp.....and run four, four ohm speakers , each pair in parallel giving a load of 8 ohms?

then again could be easier to upgrade the head unit!

buy a cd player man!

or listen to that sweeeet rumble:partyon:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Heh heh - yeah 10 ohms does seem a bit odd. But actually speakers (home I think?) have in years past been as high as 16 ohms. And I think C4s had some weird speaker arrangements w/ amps built in? Actually American (home audio) speakers have been pretty good and biased towards higher ohms over the years but have gone to lower 4-8 ohms to stay up w/ the Japanese amps.

No the ohms don't work that way on speakers - you can't add more speakers or a resistor to get there. If you want modern aftermarket speakers that are 4 ohm you'll need a modern amp. But I have to give props to a 69-76 STEREO w/ correct 10 ohm speakers - they produce a nice sound and I suppose an FM MP3 adapter can be added to the mix.

I wouldn't be surprised if those speakers sold as 'replacements' by Ecklers are in fact the correct 10 ohms. I've heard reports that some mail order suppliers that offer replacements ship the correct Delco 10 ohm speakers and others send generic modern 4 ohm speakers. I do know the Delco speakers ARE the correct 10 ohms. I'd guess $20 or 25 each?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts