Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the BG 750 the other day to replace The 670 Street Aveng. thats on the engine now.

Its a beautiful Carb. The Castings are impeccable and Im sure it will match up with my 383 just fine. BUT..I got to say there were a Few eyeopeners :surprised when I started to set it Up.

When I took it out of the Box It had a Tag hand Marked with flow numbers ect. But the Line for the Testers Signature Was Blank..I doubt it was even tested..someone just filled in some nice numbers I think.

Then the elec. choke had to be Modified so My Air cleaner would Clear the Choke pull rod. No Big deal, BG instructions said this would be Likely because the choke tower casting overlapes all the way out onto the base for the aircleaner.

Next, The Float Bowls have a Plastic part that acts as a anti splash piece, The one in the Primary Bowl was Smashed..It got Smashed before the Bowl was installed and the assembler went ahead and put it on anyway :WTF .

Most Important, the Primary Butterflies Dont close up in the Bore equally. Off by about .020" . So Its not possible to make the Initial adjustments for the carb until both Butterflies sit in there equal like it should have been fitted at Barry Grant. The Secondary side was Perfect.

Also FYI The duel inlet wont accept the Holley dual feed Line. Holley uses 7/8-20 in, This Carb has a 9/16 -24 fitting inlet. No adaptor options..Have to Get The BG Fuel Line.

Anyhow The Carb will Work out fine, But I want to say I dont think Barry Grant Has any Quality control in place at their assembly line. Also I had heard Summit doesnt offer Barry Grant Carbs for sale anymore. I knew that before, But now I think I know More Why :laughing:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I got the BG 750 the other day to replace The 670 Street Aveng. thats on the engine now.

Its a beautiful Carb. The Castings are impeccable and Im sure it will match up with my 383 just fine. BUT..I got to say there were a Few eyeopeners :surprised when I started to set it Up.

When I took it out of the Box It had a Tag hand Marked with flow numbers ect. But the Line for the Testers Signature Was Blank..I doubt it was even tested..someone just filled in some nice numbers I think.

Then the elec. choke had to be Modified so My Air cleaner would Clear the Choke pull rod. No Big deal, BG instructions said this would be Likely because the choke tower casting overlapes all the way out onto the base for the aircleaner.

Next, The Float Bowls have a Plastic part that acts as a anti splash piece, The one in the Primary Bowl was Smashed..It got Smashed before the Bowl was installed and the assembler went ahead and put it on anyway :WTF .

Most Important, the Primary Butterflies Dont close up in the Bore equally. Off by about .020" . So Its not possible to make the Initial adjustments for the carb until both Butterflies sit in there equal like it should have been fitted at Barry Grant. The Secondary side was Perfect.

Also FYI The duel inlet wont accept the Holley dual feed Line. Holley uses 7/8-20 in, This Carb has a 9/16 -24 fitting inlet. No adaptor options..Have to Get The BG Fuel Line.

Anyhow The Carb will Work out fine, But I want to say I dont think Barry Grant Has any Quality control in place at their assembly line. Also I had heard Summit doesnt offer Barry Grant Carbs for sale anymore. I knew that before, But now I think I know More Why :laughing:
NICE looking ragtop in your avitar, what color is that?

·
Registered
966 Posts
69vettester: As you know from the other forum...many complaints about QC and the Barry Grant carbs. You might want to take the floats off and blow everything out inside there. They are notorious for leaving casting slag inside the carb. A shame...as the carb IS pretty nice. :thumbsup:

Dep
P.S. Glad you are here!!! :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just happened to stumble on Summits clearence items back when they were phasing out their Demon line of carbs. I jumped on a mech. sec. 650 Speed Demon at a substantial discount, hell I'm not above cleaning out a little machining crap:laughing: .
Anyway it worked flawlessly out of the box, and since then I bought another used one from a forum member and it to worked great.
Now after converting them to boost referenced power valves, they are working just fine on my blower set-up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
My BG Mighty Demon leaked gas when I first put it on. I fixed the leak by replacing a diaphragm gasket and then put it back on. The carb worked much better than the Holley it replaced. The car ran much cleaner without any hesitation throughout the powerband.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I guess when you buy a BG carb you have to finish the assembly at home :laughing:
Every Holley I've installed ran great out of the bpox. Just set the floats and away you go.

Dep

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback, Im Sure it will work fine, sure is a nice looking piece ,Ill say that for now.

I usually take everything apart anyway when I get it, Maybe Ill learn something.

Its just that I come from the days where it would be unheard of to Buy a carb and find that it was mishandled and shipped like this was!

Lars is sending me his BG Demon papers, Maybe with that read Ill Know how to address the "fat" issue. I cant justify Having to run my car Too Fat, Im not setting records or competing at the track with the fuel Im putting in it...

Thanks again..Tom

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just remembered. Get the Moroso rubber bowl gaskets. Makes life easier the next time you change the jets or whatever. The big sightglasses are great too, IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts